Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Leftover Roast Pork?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Am making Peter O's Hot and Fast Roast Pork Shoulder today. As as always, expect to have lots leftover. And as always, will be trying to find ways to use it up later in the week for another meal(s).

One thing I want to do is that since I have an abundance of nice green cabbage from my garden, was to combine the cabbage with the leftover pork in a skillet and saute it off, and serve it over egg noodles. (Pork, cabbage, and noodles go well together.) But am looking for some type of sauce to to moisten it up.

Any ideas?

What about something like a Paprikash sauce Steve? seems like that cabbage would add a nice texture (bite) to it.

I think this might be the winner. We'll see tomorrow.

Well, made it last night and it was pretty good. What I did............cut up the leftover pork roast into about 1" cubes/pieces. Cut some cabbage into shreds and added a couple small carrots from the garden, grated, and half a large onion, thinly sliced. A few cloves of garlic, chopped. Sauteed the garlic, carrots, onions, and cabbage in a skillet with butter and olive oil until the cabbage was a bit soft but still had some crunch.

Meanwhile, in another skillet, some finely chopped onion sauteed in olive oil and butter, and a few tablespoons of Hungarian paprika, salt and pepper, and sauteed until onions were soft. Added a tablespoon or so of flour to make a roux, then about a cup and a half of homemade chicken stock, some cream sherry, a bit of Sherry Peppers. Brought that to just a boil and then turned down to a simmer for a few minutes.

Boiled off some wide egg noodles, drained, and added them to the first pan along with the pork. To the second pan with the sauce, added perhaps 3 tablespoons of sour cream. Poured the sauce over the pork/cabbage/noodles in the first pan and tossed to combine, heated thru, and served.

I would make it again if I had the leftover pork.....:th:

Today I brought some of the leftovers (I made too much for just Donna and me) to my boss for his lunch (he said cool, I didn't bring lunch and I am out of cash....;)), so we will see what his review is tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Sounds :drool: awesome on a cold, rainy day! Next time I make a pork shoulder I'm gonna try this with the leftovers (or a reasonable approximation). Wish you had taken a photo, but I understand that might have taken a turn for the worse :D.