Ar15 scopeish questions...

Rate this topic

Mokes

Been reading up on scopes, red dots, 1x4's, EoTech vs Aimpoint, shortdots vs real scopes, 150.00 scope vs 2000.00 dollar scopes and I think this may be the most maddening part of the AR world yet.

So....my questions are these.

Red Dot? Worth paying the high end prices?

Scopes? I think a decent scope can be had for 200 bucks from all I've read. Will it be awesome? No, but servicable.

My main worry is how to zero it and have detachable and kept at zero.

Was hoping WeeWee might chime in with some quick input on what he see in training classes and what makes sense and what doesn't.

Obviously, money is playing into this for me, but I'm trying to figure out what's fact over opinion.

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

It is like the old saying goes; Ya get what ya pay for...

I've owned a few over the years and finally settled on an Aimpoint PRO for my AR. Main selling point was ease of use and battery life.

Eotechs are nice but I didn't like the 65 MOA circle. (it always looks fuzzy to me) A single dot is what I prefer.

Aimpoints are on the spend side but worth it IMHO.

If you don't want to spend 5 bills, Vortex makes a red dot that is getting good reviews.

It all comes down on what you want it for; plinking,hunting or SHTF scenarios.

I have 2 TruGlo red dots on a couple of 22 handguns that more than suit their purposes. Would I want to trust my life to one ????? probably not.

You could try out a lower priced red dot for now and sell it later on ebay if you want to upgrade.

Been leaning towards the Aimpoint myself. Read to many bad things about EoTech's battery life to trust it to be useful in a crisis.

Everything I consider is basically SHTF with my gun. I don't have the funds for top shelf, but I think you can buy smart and come away with a solid platform.

I was hitting steel at 150yards with my Magpul backups, so thinking 200+ yards out, I'm torn as to whether that should be a serious consideration, or if the SHTF, I might not want to even stick around for a 200+ yard gunfight anyways, unless I have a decent rifle and LOT more training than I do now.....which is basically none, lol. I don't even know of a local place to practice long rifle shots.

I'll peek at the Vortex anyways though.

Any idea on how I would setup an Aimpoint with my A2 sight? High riser?:confused:

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

Been leaning towards the Aimpoint myself. Read to many bad things about EoTech's battery life to trust it to be useful in a crisis.

Everything I consider is basically SHTF with my gun. I don't have the funds for top shelf, but I think you can buy smart and come away with a solid platform.

I was hitting steel at 150yards with my Magpul backups, so thinking 200+ yards out, I'm torn as to whether that should be a serious consideration, or if the SHTF, I might not want to even stick around for a 200+ yard gunfight anyways, unless I have a decent rifle and LOT more training than I do now.....which is basically none, lol. I don't even know of a local place to practice long rifle shots.

Any idea on how I would setup an Aimpoint with my A2 sight? High riser?:confused:

I found this but dont know if you can open it.

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/ar-15/64689-ar-scope-mount-fixed-a2-sight-what-oh-what-do.html

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it's free.

I can thanks. I will read that in a bit.

I checked out those Vortex red dots too. They seem great, minus one thing.

Aimpoint Pro is rated for 30,000 hours of continuous use. Vortex is rated for 300.

That to me seems like a pretty big issue. I wonder how Aimpoint managed such a huge run time versus everyone else?

-Numbnuts

No problem at all with the A2 sight1822131

Hard to get a picture

Huh. I figured you'd want to be above the A2? The red dot basically lines up wit the top of the front post?

-Numbnuts

That is where it should be.

If you have the red dot too high you lose cheek weld.

This weapon shoots great with co witness.

Ok. Seems like our guns are fairly similar in setup.

I think I'll want to change my stock to an adjustable and pin it put a couple clicks though.

-Numbnuts

Ok. Seems like our guns are fairly similar in setup.

I think I'll want to change my stock to an adjustable and pin it put a couple clicks though.

Your rifle came out great. Why the want for an adjustable stock ? I have one on mine and don't really care for it. I've considered going over to a regular butt stock like I had on my M16 years ago.

As long as LOP is good I see no benefit to the adjustable one. (at least in my case)

Your rifle came out great. Why the want for an adjustable stock ? I have one on mine and don't really care for it. I've considered going over to a regular butt stock like I had on my M16 years ago.

As long as LOP is good I see no benefit to the adjustable one. (at least in my case)

I was just thinking about a bit more room. I have to pin it here in Commie Land. I was just playing around and pulling up with it. It may not be that bad. If I was wearing a coat, it would be great

-Numbnuts

I have an Aimpoint PRO & A2 front sight, lower 1/3 co-witness for me.

:v:

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace