Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim B

Getting Rid of Cable

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

How many people have done it with a streaming device, Netflix or Hulu plus subscription and a digital antennae? Every time I watch TV, Verizon wants to charge me a subscription fee for something that was formerly free, and there are a lot of channels that I will never watch. (plus the monthly fee for the cable boxes) I think its time to get rid of cable, but what are the pros and cons?

I feel your pain, there is actually a couple o threads on this. I was told a company called channel master makes really nice antennas.

I haven't got around to cutting the cord.....

How many people have done it with a streaming device, Netflix or Hulu plus subscription and a digital antennae? Every time I watch TV, Verizon wants to charge me a subscription fee for something that was formerly free, and there are a lot of channels that I will never watch. (plus the monthly fee for the cable boxes) I think its time to get rid of cable, but what are the pros and cons?

We had the same issue and I started a discussion a while back. Verizon deleted WFN from my line up and made me pay more for the upgraded package. We literally watch about 12 if not less than the "400 or so" available. There should be an Ala cart option. I'd pay half of what I pay now which is around $160 for cable and Internet just to get the 12 channels I want.

That's my issue. When they made WFN a subscription channel, I said screw it, I'm not paying extra for it when I'm stuck with a bunch of channels that I don't watch and will never watch. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what internet alone will cost me, since Verizon has it bundled with TV and phone. My current internet speed is 54mbps and I'd love to know what they would charge me for a stand alone service. I finally convinced the wife to give up the land line, so we'll be down to just cell phones and internet. A decent indoor antenna(with amplifier) will run me about $34.00. I figure $8.00 a month for either Hulu plus or Netflix. The savings should be substantial.

Almost impossible if you like to watch sports plus they get you with the packkage or bundle thing wirh the land line and internet. If not for missing the sports i could cut it easily and survive with a smart tv

It has been a year for me without cable. Originally I planned to be without Comcast for four months so I could re qualify for "new customer" promotional rates again. Comcast wouldn't budge off $160/month for the bundle and despite not needing several features there wasn't much savings in cutting some of the fat.

I bought a smart blu ray player for $50 and paid $8/month for hulu+. 4 months later, I decided I liked it so much that said screw comcast and went ahead and bought another receiver (the faster and betterRoku3 for $80) and added MLB for $50/year also got a friends password for free netflix. Lots of content for WAAAAYY less money. :th::th:

These are the channels you should be able to receive fairly easily. Notice that ABC along with a few other unnamed networks are VHF. Most antennas marked "HD antennas" are UHF only. So if you're going cut the cord and ABC is important to you look for a UHF/VHF combo antenna. Will probably end up being an old style looking one (Yagi).

You can also try to get your cable company to lower your rate. Many will send you to the "retention" dept. when you call to cancel. They'll usually start off with crap offers but if you hold out they might just offer a great deal to keep you as a customer.

I tried that with Verizon and the retention team told me that their rates are the highest because they offer the best service and would match the same line up and service as Comcast for $140 a month. They thanked me for being a customer and wished me luck. I still have Verizon lol but because I am moving in about 4 months and said screw it.

I bought a smart blu ray player for $50 and paid $8/month for hulu+. 4 months later, I decided I liked it so much that said screw comcast and went ahead and bought another receiver (the faster and betterRoku3 for $80) and added MLB for $50/year also got a friends password for free netflix. Lots of content for WAAAAYY less money. icon14.gificon14.gif

What are you doing for internet? What is the speed and cost?

I did it almost a year ago and I won't be back to cable.

Antenna on the roof for OTA.

Roku 3, Chromecast and Playstation on different TVs

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

For those that I can't get any other way, I buy episodes on Amazon.

This works for us with no complaints.

We had the same issue and I started a discussion a while back. Verizon deleted WFN from my line up and made me pay more for the upgraded package. We literally watch about 12 if not less than the "400 or so" available. There should be an Ala cart option. I'd pay half of what I pay now which is around $160 for cable and Internet just to get the 12 channels I want.

a la carte would be nice until you have to pay 10 or 20 or even 30 dollars a month for 1 channel.

I'd like to know what options there are for Internet only. Last time I researched this, it was not cost effective after buying Internet only plans at least here in the Boston area.