Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Charlie on the DL

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I'm right in the middle of bird season. Not a great season, but still great to be out with my dog.

Well, last Wed, Charlie had a terrible accident. Hunting in his usual 100mph, give it all you got manner, he suffered a terrible laceration. Ran into a fresh beaver cutting. Massive 9" laceration. :scared: Running from his belly, above his manhood and down his left rear leg. Huge flap of flesh literally hanging down.

After I got him into the water to wash and cool him off, I got him to a dirt road and was able to walk him back to the car. Thanks to my old friend Judy Skehan, she was able to make arrangements while in the woods, and Holden Animal Hosp was waiting for me to arrive and took us in immediately. From the woods to the OR in under 25 minutes.

Almost 60 stiches, and a drain with will come out tomorrow. He's a tough guy.

wow, glad things worked out for the better with Charlie. Those beaver shin daggers are dangerous, I have ripped several waders wide open on them while duck hunting the swamps.

wow, glad things worked out for the better with Charlie. Those beaver shin daggers are dangerous, I have ripped several waders wide open on them while duck hunting the swamps.

I'll post a photo later in the week.

I heard him yip several minutes earlier, but he kept working the bird until it flushed. I had no way of knowing he had the wound until he emerged from the swamp. I can't believe he kept hunting with that wound.

But a big thank you to Holden Animal Hosp. :th: Charlie is not their patient, and went there as an emergency. They were ready for me the moment we walked through the door @ 4pm.

uggh, poor charlie, hope he's on the mend quickly...

I hate hearing stories about bird dogs getting hurt...i was very lucky my Shorthair survived 11 seasons in myles standish without any bad nicks...the only field wound she got was she cut her paw on something one morning while hunting in the snow...saw a pool of blood where she had stopped momentarily and i definitely panicked...later learned paws just bleed alot when they get nicked...

I'll post a photo later in the week.

I heard him yip several minutes earlier, but he kept working the bird until it flushed. I had no way of knowing he had the wound until he emerged from the swamp. I can't believe he kept hunting with that wound.

But a big thank you to Holder Animal Hosp. :th: Charlie is not their patient, and went there as an emergency. They were ready for me the moment we walked through the door @ 4pm.

That stinks. :( Get well soon Charlie!

-bd

Whoa, that's tough. Nothing better than a dedicated bird dog, or any dog for that matter. Hope he heals up soon.

Until then make sure you spoil him (more than usual!! ;) )

Sure hopes Charlie makes a speedy recovery. Its tough when a pup gets hurt. If you want to go for Quail, I hunt Myles Standish every Tues Thurs and Sat. Pm me if your interested.

Thanks so much for all the kind words. Charlie (and I) really appreciate it.

The drain comes out tomorrow, and the stiches on 11/12. I'm hoping with a belly protector I can hunt him the remainder of the season from there.

Charlie's a real special dog, and I really enjoy being out with him.