Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wayne Tj

Put on your fishing cap

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

According to my logs this blow and the calendar will be the start of the migration through Long Island Sound. The next two weeks will be it, or not. However, if there is going to be an event, this is it. Tuesday is a definite - for the next two weeks, pick your days and keep your eyes and ears open.

This is it for our region - bass and blues anyway. Tog are still biting well.

Why no, never thought of it. We used to spray the Wiz on Ritz crackers and washed it down with Tang while watching Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights.

Although, I am guilty of starting a few blitzes by hookig a dozen or so snapper blues on a Sabiki rig.

Why no, never thought of it. We used to spray the Wiz on Ritz crackers and washed it down with Tang while watching Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights.

Although, I am guilty of starting a few blitzes by hookig a dozen or so snapper blues on a Sabiki rig.

1. How old are You.

2. What the **** are You talking about?

:)

I will partially gut a small Blue.

Not enough to kill it, just enough to get some gut showing, and bloody the waters.

The other Blues will go into a feeding frenzy on one of their own.

They don't care one bit.

Not enough to kill it, just enough to get some gut showing, and bloody the waters.

They don't care one bit.

A different approach...what do YOU want a blitz to be??

It's best when they turn on they're own. :th:

They don't care one bit.

A different approach...what do YOU want a blitz to be??

It's best when they turn on they're own. :th:

Self chumming saves money on store bought.

When I was 19 myself and five buddies booked a shark fishing night charter. This was a year or two after the Jaws movie came out. We were out maybe 5 miles right off of Seaside Amusement park. I dont know the exact distance, but you could see all the attractions clearly. We anchored up, started chumming, and when the first couple of sharks came up the mates would hoist them up, slit their bellies with a fillet knife then cut the leader.

At one point the water as far as you could see in the spreader lights was all blood red. At any given time there were 30+ visible fins cruising through it. We caught blues, browns, hammerheads and what the mate said was a mako. Some of them were huge. The boat was a 28 Ft. flybridge and when a big one was brought to the boat the mates would leather glove the leader and get it's head to the surface. The Captain up on the flybridge was armed with an old M-1. If the shark was to be kept, he would pop it a few times in the head. It would then be gaffed and tail-roped to be brought aboard. I got one that night around 11', The mates claimed about 300#'s. After it was aboard I wanted to see it's jaws. Unfortunately when we rolled it over, the entire bottom of it's head and mouth were gone. 5 rounds from an M-1 will do that I guess.

Now that I am older and more familiar with firearms, I realize how reckless that was for the captain to do. 10 to 12 Ft. up on a rocking flybridge, shooting basicly over the shoulder and heads of his mates and fares :scared:

Now I think back to the absolute waste of sharks and regret it, But it was sure a lot of fun at the time.

Jim