Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
runnsfromcops

anyone else get nailed at Montauk today by the cops?

Rate this topic

161 posts in this topic

Got stopped by Marine Division cops today on the walk up from Camp Hero. They were checking everyone for the marine registry (essentially the marine fishing "license") and got a friend of mine and I. I had previously registered with the DEC but it was a month into expiration... just my luck. So I got a summons to appear in East Hampton Court on 11/19. From what the officer told me, this is a $100-$150 ticket, which MAY get reduced if I register and call the court. This part didn't really make sense to me, and sounds like a scam by the county. These officers didn't catch me fishing without a license—the description on the ticket states Failure to Carry recreational marine fishing registration. So in essence, I got a ticket for Carrying a Fishing Rod Without a Permit, which is just as ridiculous and obscene as it sounds when I read it back to myself. I have serious doubts as to whether this would hold up in court, as well as the dubious legality of their hustle, but the summons itself and the fine that comes with it, is very real. A real kick in the balls after getting thrashed all day by the wind, ha.

In all seriousness that the biggest b.s. ticket to get its free to get it anyway. I know places they could give legit tickets out all day. Instead of some guy going fishing in mtk thats coming all the way out from Brooklyn. I would of told them no hablo engles marika they probly would a thought Jew was a horse and let you go.

I tried to reregister on line since, I think, mine expired in Sep. Put in my number and was blocked out, called up and was told try again in November since they were too busy with hunting stuff now, Does anyone know the term of these registrations in NY, is it Sep to Sep or Dec to Dec?

You could have registered via telephone. They would have given you an Number which you could have written down and kept with you. In a week or two, you would have received the Marine Registery in the mail.

Many complain about the lack of enforcement until they are caught breaking the law. They then Scream Bloody Murder and blame the Police for their own wrong doing. You got caught, you pay the price.

sb

Quote:

Originally Posted by runnsfromcops View Post

Got stopped by Marine Division cops today on the walk up from Camp Hero. They were checking everyone for the marine registry (essentially the marine fishing "license") and got a friend of mine and I. I had previously registered with the DEC but it was a month into expiration... just my luck. So I got a summons to appear in East Hampton Court on 11/19. From what the officer told me, this is a $100-$150 ticket, which MAY get reduced if I register and call the court. This part didn't really make sense to me, and sounds like a scam by the county. These officers didn't catch me fishing without a license—the description on the ticket states Failure to Carry recreational marine fishing registration. So in essence, I got a ticket for Carrying a Fishing Rod Without a Permit, which is just as ridiculous and obscene as it sounds when I read it back to myself. I have serious doubts as to whether this would hold up in court, as well as the dubious legality of their hustle, but the summons itself and the fine that comes with it, is very real. A real kick in the balls after getting thrashed all day by the wind, ha.

Shameful - you're going to claim that -- fully clothed in waders and lure bag with a 10 footer while walking up from Camp Hero that you weren't fishing, just carrying gear?

My friend, I'm afraid that argument won't wash in ANY court......  Why not adhere to the simple regs out there that protect fishing for all of us?  -- I am a resident out there and have all my docs for all the beaches including the vehicle permits for both EH and the state parks -- makes me crazy when I see that more than 2/3'rds of all the trucks I see have nothing on their trucks.

I hope they ticket all of you -- really -- maybe when you have to appear in a few courts and pay a few fines you'll follow the rules that keep the fishing viable for everyone........

I am registered but don't always carry the license with me on my person.

It's always in my truck which is usually close by. Am I asking for trouble or is this acceptable? Its hard to keep track of that little piece of paper and keep it from being destroyed/lost. In my head I always figured the officers would allow me to fetch it from my truck or I'd be OK even if I did get a summons since I am legally registered but that's probably being too optimistic. I guess the answer is to make sure I'm carrying it but wondering what others experiences are?

I'm all for being registered and playing by the rules, but remember the "LIFETIME" saltwater fishing license?!? It makes you think what are they trying to accomplish, determine how many recreational anglers in the state or just to make money. I have a picture of my registration card on my phone because I was not able to print it out nor did they mail one out to me. A permit for this a permit for that and they still close access just when the fishing gets good. I know many here break rules when it comes to fishing access whether it be fishing off a bridge, under a bridge, parking on the side of the roads and even climbing fences, I have done this also just to hunt down the Striped One but when you dish out $200 and better for permits every year that are rendered useless for part of the season it makes you wonder.......

You could have registered via telephone. They would have given you an Number which you could have written down and kept with you. In a week or two, you would have received the Marine Registery in the mail.

Many complain about the lack of enforcement until they are caught breaking the law. They then Scream Bloody Murder and blame the Police for their own wrong doing. You got caught, you pay the price.

sb

I have a number from previous registrations, I did telephone and was told to wait till November. Mine shows a Sep valid till date and also a Dec date, I'm confused and so was the person I talked to.

I just checked my wallet and realize I have been fishing with out my license,the marine registry. I'm glad that I read this forum.   Thanks for the head up!!!!!! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by prican1 View Post

I'm all for being registered and playing by the rules, but remember the "LIFETIME" saltwater fishing license?!? It makes you think what are they trying to accomplish, determine how many recreational anglers in the state or just to make money. I have a picture of my registration card on my phone because I was not able to print it out nor did they mail one out to me. A permit for this a permit for that and they still close access just when the fishing gets good. I know many here break rules when it comes to fishing access whether it be fishing off a bridge, under a bridge, parking on the side of the roads and even climbing fences, I have done this also just to hunt down the Striped One but when you dish out $200 and better for permits every year that are rendered useless for part of the season it makes you wonder.......

I like your idea of keeping a back up on your phone. I'm registered for freshwater and salt in ny but got stopped while trout fishing this spring and the guy never gave me my permit back. Trout were blitzing and I ran to the water forgetting about my permit. I'd be so p'sed if I had to go down to south hampton to fight a ticket. My advise would be get the permit and fax a copy to the south hampton court or were ever you have to go. Got myself outta a inspection ticket last yr doing this. Good luck.