Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basenjib123

Vote YES on Question 1

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

..unless you want automatic taxes on Gasoline, be careful on the question because it is worded in an effort to confuse the voters into voting No on it. Remember Vote YES on Question 1, unless you want higher taxes on your gasoline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SUMMARY

 

This proposed law would eliminate the requirement that the state’s gasoline tax, which was 24 cents per gallon as of September 2013, (1) be adjusted every year by the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index over the preceding year, but (2) not be adjusted below 21.5 cents per gallon.

 

A YES VOTE would eliminate the requirement that the state’s gas tax be adjusted annually based on the Consumer Price Index.

 

A NO VOTE would make no change in the laws regarding the gas tax.

 


ARGUMENTS

 

As provided by law, the 150-word arguments are written by proponents and opponents of each question, and reflect their opinions. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not endorse these arguments, and does not certify the truth or accuracy of any statement made in these arguments. The names of the individuals and organizations who wrote each argument, and any written comments by others about each argument, are on file in the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.

 

IN FAVOR: Voting yes simply stops the linkage of the gas tax to inflation. This linkage causes the tax to increase every year without a vote of the Legislature. That’s taxation without representation. If the Legislature wants to increase taxes, they should have to vote for it. No tax should automatically increase.

 

This initiative cuts no money for bridge or road repair. It just requires the Legislature to take a vote if and when they want to raise the tax.

 

You already pay hefty gas taxes – 26.5 cents for state taxes and 18.4 cents for federal. For an average 15 gallon fill-up, you spend $6.73 in taxes.

 

Within the last year the administration has re-instituted tolls, raised registry fees by 20%, and raised other taxes. And the last time gas taxes were increased the money was diverted from road repair. The state has a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least you guys get to vote on it.

Our state reps here in Maryland thought it would be a good idea, and passed the law in the Legislature, and our governor signed it.

Democrats, gotta love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

Originally Posted by dena View Post

At least you guys get to vote on it.

Our state reps here in Maryland thought it would be a good idea, and passed the law in the Legislature, and our governor signed it.

Democrats, gotta love them.



Same thing happened here, but we got enough signatures to get it on the ballet. It was a struggle but everyone is against it except the liberal whack jobs. I heard on the radio about the people collecting signatures and drove 30 minutes there to sign my name. 


The govt takes too much from us and has borrowed even more on our behalf without us having anything to show for it. Why? Too create handouts for people with no life skills to survive at real job. Time for real changes.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson615 View Post

 

Same thing happened here, but we got enough signatures to get it on the ballet. It was a struggle but everyone is against it except the liberal whack jobs. I heard on the radio about the people collecting signatures and drove 30 minutes there to sign my name. 


The govt takes too much from us and has borrowed even more on our behalf without us having anything to show for it. Why? Too create handouts for people with no life skills to survive at real job. Time for real changes.





raising taxes with out a vote?  Without representation?  Seems every American would grasp the significance of that.  UNLESS, of course, you were "educated" under the tutelage of the very same people that want you to not be represented.  All ties together doesn't it?


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our governor raided the transportation fund to get some pet projects through.

Then he cried poor mouse, and pushed a gas tax pegged to inflation..Yet, it is still not enough.

Oh yea, just for kicks, a (high) percentage of the gas tax paid for by drivers goes to mass transit, and efforts to get folks to take the bus.

Isn't that special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

basenjib123, some people either can’t be pleased or, simply complain about everything.  



 



This is a regressive excise tax; you should be viewing it as a sweet source for corporate welfare (not that this even exists).


State of Maine Governor Paul Richard LePage is an American businessman and Republican Party politician who has served as the 74th Governor of Maine since 2011. 


More than 8,000 jobs have been created since 2011 including jobs from the economic development initiatives this administration has established. 



 
Originally Posted by basenjib123 View Post

..unless you want automatic taxes on Gasoline, be careful on the question because it is worded in an effort to confuse the voters into voting No on it. Remember Vote YES on Question 1, unless you want higher taxes on your gasoline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
..unless you want automatic taxes on Gasoline, be careful on the question because it is worded in an effort to confuse the voters into voting No on it. Remember Vote YES on Question 1, unless you want higher taxes on your gasoline.

 

 

? Isn't this a Massachusetts question ?

 

Question 1 in Maine (You have Maine listed as your location) deals with bear hunting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthered View Post

 

basenjib123, some people either can’t be pleased or, simply complain about everything.  



 



This is a regressive excise tax; you should be viewing it as a sweet source for corporate welfare (not that this even exists).


State of Maine Governor Paul Richard LePage is an American businessman and Republican Party politician who has served as the 74th Governor of Maine since 2011. 


More than 8,000 jobs have been created since 2011 including jobs from the economic development initiatives this administration has established. 





red, I just need to ask you what types of 'jobs' have been 'created'? If its a job that is created in order to establish a new tax that isnt really a job that was created. If these 'jobs' are building bridges and expanding highways thats one thing although thats already been paid for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

? Isn't this a Massachusetts question ?

 

Question 1 in Maine (You have Maine listed as your location) deals with bear hunting...

 

Oh my GOD, you caught me. Please don't tell anyone else as I am presently undercover in MA. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

twilson615, I don’t know, but  Maine is Open for Business!   “Additionally, companies have invested nearly $400 million in capital investment. These figures represent thousands of opportunities for generations of Mainers - Mainers who will not have to leave our state to secure a great education or find a rewarding career.


Also, the Governor, “Stopped the AUTOMATIC increase of the gas tax to save drivers money, putting more money in the pockets of Mainers.”


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
twilson615, I don’t know, but  Maine is Open for Business!   “Additionally, companies have invested nearly $400 million in capital investment. These figures represent thousands of opportunities for generations of Mainers - Mainers who will not have to leave our state to secure a great education or find a rewarding career.

 

Also, the Governor, “Stopped the AUTOMATIC increase of the gas tax to save drivers money, putting more money in the pockets of Mainers.”

I misread what you were trying to say. We get it really bad here in MA so everything sets off taxpayers.

 

The other thing is the deposit on water bottles, just to impose a secret tax on consumers disguised as a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

Originally Posted by twilson615 View Post

 
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthered View Post

twilson615, I don’t know, but  Maine is Open for Business!   “Additionally, companies have invested nearly $400 million in capital investment. These figures represent thousands of opportunities for generations of Mainers - Mainers who will not have to leave our state to secure a great education or find a rewarding career.

Also, the Governor, “Stopped the AUTOMATIC increase of the gas tax to save drivers money, putting more money in the pockets of Mainers.”


I misread what you were trying to say. We get it really bad here in MA so everything sets off taxpayers.

The other thing is the deposit on water bottles, just to impose a secret tax on consumers disguised as a good thing.


I'll be voting No on my Public Question #3, to pay a five cent ($.05) fee for each single use plastic disposable bag provided when shopping.   :howdy: 


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.