Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Ski goggles for surfcasters?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Has anyone bothered to fish severe weather, like the current nor'easter, with ski goggles to protect their eyes and normal glasses? It occurred to me the other day that getting your face blasted with rain, when the termperature's such that you could just as well be surprised by sleet or hail, might be a good occasion to raid a ski store for better impact protection.

And we have a thread going on hooks in fingers that makes a nice point about the hazards of a flying plug, too.

Got knocked out of a good bite one day, wind and rain at 35 knots completely horizontal, couldn't see a thing. Went and bought ski goggles, sat in the gear bag for years until the same scenario duplicated out on Shagwong one day...Ski goggles to the rescue, I bailed teen sized bluefish, some doubleheaders on the same plug, for over an hour until lightning sent me running for the truck. Had to be 10-12 guys pulled up to the meelee and all wound up watching from their trucks with the wipers on!

Great idea. I use big prescription glasses when I fish, but goggles are a great idea-thanks!

Also, I started a thread about the hook in the finger....I am petrified of hooks in eyes.....and of course your nuts/pecker.......

Probably not, but it's better than sand or sleet or hail in your eye, or your normal glasses.

Jason, I don't think that they'd help keep your nuts puncture-free. A boxer's cup? But in conditions where I want goggles, I know I'll be wearing either waders or heavy foul-weather gear.

can you keep the salt spray off them enough o see?

Absolutely, in those conditions with horizontal rain, wind, sleet they stay very free of salt spray...not needed too often but as described in my post above they can be a game changer.

Haha, that's really not a bad idea. People will look at you like you are crazy but who cares. Comfort is king. Maybe it will start a trend and everyone will start doing it. 

I have a pair of goggles made for boating I think they're called or made by Solar-Bat. I used to need them when moving fast in my boat as my eyes always watered in the wind. I've never used them while fishing a windy surf but I'm sure they'd be perfect for it.