Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason V

The ol' hook in the finger.........

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

At least mine was done on with a GRS. Didn't hurt, went to the ER, they cut the hooks, pulled it past the barb, cut the barb, then pulled it back through.

I'm petrified of hooks in my eyes-hope that never happens to anyone!

My dad this past spring

I did it last week. Luckily the barbless hook was easy to get out. It's been a while since I've needed to have to go to the er with one. Years ago it happened twice on two consecutive fish. The first one went clean thru, so it was an easy fix. The next one, not so much...

Man, those look painful. I remember back when I was an absolute newbie to fishing, I tried showing off the action (which at the time I knew nothing about) of a cheap shakespeare rod to a friend at the beach, when I had a 6/0 gamakatsu with a 1 oz lead on. I gave the rod to him, and held the lead about a foot from the hook. Him, being not the brightest bulb, decides to try striking as he would with a fish. Great idea. Lead gets yanked from my hand and the hook impales the side of my thumb and the bend of the circle hook makes the thing turn and come out the tip. Well, my grandfather trys to take it out by pulling it out using a pair of pliers. Most painful thing I've ever felt, especially once he made me wash it off in the water. Sorry for no pics, I wasn't smart enough to document my first lesson in fishing.

Buy some bolt cutters. And crush all your barbs. Least if you do it again. Can save yourself an er trip. Tetanus shot in the morning.

I got that shot 6 months ago. The antibiotic meds are making me crap non stop!

I have to start filing down/crushing my barbs....many have told me to do that

I knew this would garnish pics/responses, as many have been there. Did any of you guys above get it in the bone/massive swelling? Mine wasn't too bad-picked my son up from school/drove myself to the ER.

I got that shot 6 months ago. The antibiotic meds are making me crap non stop!

I have to start filing down/crushing my barbs....many have told me to do that

last time one of these threads came up I crushed them all. And spent 20 bucks at home depot for a small part of bolt cutters just for the truck.