Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ccb

SUV's / with good towing power

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

What SUV can tow 21' boat with good mileage and no strain on the engine. I see a lot of SUV's that can tow 1500lbs with a little 1' adapter for a small ball? For as big as they look, they can't tow nothing for weight. Trucks can tow 5000 lbs.? some more. What would you look at if buying one?

My 2011 Toyota Tacoma, 4 cyl, automatic, regular cab 4x4 has a tow rating of 3500#.  I would look at full size SUV's.  Fords Explorer or Expedition, Chevy Suburban.

I'm in NC and one thing I hate to see is someone on a SUV with a weighted tag.  Owners of SUV's in NC do not have to have a weighted tag.  They can pull or hall a freight train and they are perfectly legal.  Our Troopers know this, however our independent license plate offices tell the owners otherwise.  Most of these license plate agencies are not aware of this, therefore costing SUV owners unnecessary money.  Might be something you guys are paying that is not necessary!   

I had a Chevy Trailblazer and it got the job done towing my 19' boat. I will say however that I had to have my brakes worked on very frequently. The car really worked hard to tow. I have a Toyota Tundra now and I barely know the boat is back there.

I have a 2014 Tahoe and love it. 8 cyl. with factory tow package. I did a lot of research before I bought the new Tahoe. Many of the new suvs are crossovers, they don't have the tow capacity they use to have. More luxury and comfort have taken over.  My previous tow vehicle was also a Tahoe.

If you want to spend the money a VW Touareg diesel will tow 7500lbs and get high teens mileage when towing, without a tow it gets 30mpg. Tons of torque. I tow 2 different boats and the smaller one you cannot tell the boat is there,3000lbs.

in my recent limited towing experiences with gross 5K rig.

vehicles that also need to be my commuter car.

02 pathfinder with 4wd-low had strong pull out at ramp. but rear suspension was soft when loaded.

Be careful of next gen pathfinders, i recall seeing some power train issues.

current 06 pilot isn't true 4wd, weak pull at ramp. but rear suspension handled the load better, and an overall more comfortable vechicle.

For now with the pilot, in the fall I just pay a guy with real truck to pull it out. then use the pilot in the spring for launch.

VW Taureg had a 10cylinder deisel a few years back.. still was only rated for 7500lb (er smething like that). engine coould pull wayy more, but the frame/chassis was the limiting factor