Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alexey

Kastmaster (Cast Champ) -- how to use

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I admit, I've always been a Krocodile man, as far as the metals go. However, I decided to keep an open mind and got some Kastmaster style lures. Particularly I got the 1.3 oz Cast Champ (Kastmaster style) lures by Luhr Jensen. I tried it out yesterday. It casts great. However, it seems to work on the very bottom of the water column, even with fast retrieve. Are they supposed to imitate eels? Is there a trick to getting stripers with Kastmaster style lures? Or is it mostly a bluefish lure? When would you use this lure over Krocodile or Hopkins? Any tips or suggestions on how to use Kastmasters would be greatly appreciated.

I fish Krocodile slowly, so it's deep. It has a wide wiggle, like a Bunker spoon.

I fish Kastmaster faster, higher in the water column, always with a surflon (Black) leader.

I regard the Kastmaster as a Bluefish lure (I know, people catch Stripers on them.)

Kastmaster is denser, more aerodynamic, casts further, than Krocodile.

The longest casting tin I ever used, was a 2.5 oz. Bomber "Slab Spoon"

It 'skips' in the air, like a stone 'skips' in the lake. Easily adds 20 yards to a cast.

I know absolutely nothing about Cast Champ, I never had much luck with Crippled Herring.

Going out on a limb here, I would say there are more anglers using Hopkins, than ALL the others combined.

"No=EQL" has it's devotees, as does "Shorty" and there are many ways to work each.

Perhaps AJ will enlighten us, about the 'snap' ......killer!

When someone talks about how they work a Hopkins, or a Bucktail.....I listen.

Funny thing about these lures (kastmaster and the popular Hopkins) both very popular for Stripers and Blues around the Northeast, in the catalogers they are marketed as "jigging spoons".  We cast and retrieve them while in Lakes they are intended for vertical jigging as we use Diamond Jigs.  For Bass I've found the 1/2oz Kastmaster most productive without any added tail/hair, 100's of Stripers. A 3/4oz Hopkins shorty produced best adding white Bucktail.

For Albies removing the hook entirely and replacing with 20in of Fluorocarbon and a small fly works remarkably well.

Let me just say one thing about the Kastmaster and Hopkins Shorty here in the Northeast.........tie a teaser 30 inches ahead of one and it spells K I L L E R .......

Do you put on the teaser only when the albies are around? Or do stripers take the teaser as well?
Teasers go on for everything. I have caught all species with teasers. Teasers can also come in the form of rubber baits ....sluggos, fin-s, grub tails, worms, etc..........When i go with rubber though, i'll use heavier metal/tin to get the offering out there further........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey View Post

Do you put on the teaser only when the albies are around? Or do stripers take the teaser as well?

Two Albies on one cast is C R A Z Y, I've experienced it a bunch of times. Akin to having two Pit-Bulls on on leash. Even filmed by my buddy, same day had a Skippy and Albie combo but didn't land it.