Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skeet123

Penn battle or emblem pro

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I cant speak about the emblem pro , but I have a 6000 series battle and a 5000 series conflict like both very much. Real solid drag system, very smooth . My battle is 4 seasons old gets fished plenty and no issues except yearly self service  

If you are paying the same for the original Battle as the Battle II you aren't doing enough due dilligence. I had a BTL2000 for FW and it was a good reel (moved on to a stradic). I still use an emp pro for situations where even a few extra yards are critical. Tough to compare the 2 as they are completely different size classes. The emblem has good line lay and casts well by design. Battle is durable and stood up to the occasional dunk and splash (would not recommend it and be sure to do a break down if it happens)

Good luck with your purchase.

Iv'e been using the Battle 4000 for backwater topwater with 15 lb braid. Lots of wind knots every trip. Also had a Cabo Pt 40 w/15 lb braid. Rarely a wind knot. Mentioned it to a tackle shop owner and his responce was he had heard the same thing from others. The Penn is now my bottom fishing reel. I have no experience with the Emblem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post

Iv'e been using the Battle 4000 for backwater topwater with 15 lb braid. Lots of wind knots every trip. Also had a Cabo Pt 40 w/15 lb braid. Rarely a wind knot. Mentioned it to a tackle shop owner and his responce was he had heard the same thing from others. The Penn is now my bottom fishing reel. I have no experience with the Emblem.

The 4000 seemed to be plagued by that problem.  I heard some guys dropped to the 3000 without any issues.  Others switched to a stiffer line like fireline which solved the problem.  

I'm not sure why Penn chose not to advertise this better but the Battle 2 shares the same tweeks that the Conflict went through with regard to spool lip, spool height and oscillation stroke. These changes brought about virtually no "wind knot" complaints for the Conflict. I would suspect the Battle 2 should perform equally as well in this area. I can't see buying the flawed 1st generation Battle under any circumstance over the updated model.