Alexey

Shore Fishing St. Martin -- Riu Palace and Radisson Blu at Anse Marcel

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am planning on going to this resort soon. I would like to do some shore and maybe kayak fishing there. I never fished in that part of the world. Does anybody know what to expect? What kind of fish can I target? What kind of lures / gulp would you take? Has anybody been to those resorts or fished in the area? When I look up Anse Marcel on the map, it looks like a very promising lagoon, but I have no idea where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Been there for a day when my cruise ship docked there this past July. Absolutely beautiful beaches and water. Don't know about the surf fishing. Would guess better chance at catching something by paying for a charter boat. If you're looking for a unique time head over to the restaurant at Maho beach and watch the planes take off and land at Princess Juliana Airport. It's crazy. Not my video. I can't wait to get back there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8y89DHMTs

I can tell you where to eat. Plenty of killer food on the island thanks to varying European cultures. As for the fishing I know there are some tarpon around the salt pond

Is salt pond accessible to tourists? Do I need to buy permits to fish there? It looks like a lake, rather than a bay. Are tarpon artificially introduced there or are they wild?

I would love to get some advice on must-visit restaurants. Thanks.

I just returned. Here is a brief review. I stayed in the new Riu All-inclusive that just opened up in the northernmost part of the island. The resort is located in a very nice bay and even though there were several stormy days, the waves were never great and we were able to swim and fish every day. There was not much entertainment and not many places to go outside the hotel. But the food was above average and the stuff were very friendly. One thing to note, the resort does not include watersports and does not give you free kayaks. In most resorts I use those for fishing. Here, all water equipment can be rented out, but is very expensive. A kayak is 20 Euros for under half an hour.

I never got to fish outside the resort. I know that guided tours take tourists to salt ponds for tarpon fishing. But one driver told me it was prohibited. Another told me I will have problems parking. So, I never tried.

As for fishing on premises, on the right side of the beach there is a shallow area with many rocks. I snorkeled there and saw many snapper-looking fish with yellow stripes ranging from a few inches to about a foot. I saw two very large fish, over a few feet there too. These fish did not take any spoons or gulp baits that I tried in that area. In fact, I didn't catch a single one of those most prevalent fish. When I tried fishing in the area (right side of the beach, next to the lunch beach cafeteria), no matter how careful I was, I would lose a lure on the rocks every few casts. I did catch some small (under a foot) aggressive fishes that looked like small jacks or permits on 1/4 oz size Little-Cleo-type spoons. When I tried casting gulp mullets on jigheads, the tails were bitten off of those, but I never caught the offenders. I also tried using the boiled shrimp (from lunch cafeteria) as bait in the rocky area. I did get instant bites, but every time, the jig would get pulled under a rock and caught there. The best way to fish in that area of the resort is probably with fly fishing and and floating line (but be careful with the back swings, lots of people on the beach, although no guards). Another alternative would be with a float and a fly or float and some shrimp.

There is a jetty on the farthest right side of the beach (where entrance to the Marina is). Locals say that they do catch some good-sized (I.e. a foot-long) fish there with shrimp in late afternoon. The jetty is not easy to access (small unsteady rocks on the way), but the jetty itself has nice flat rocks that are relatively easy to walk on. I tried only a few casts with gulp from that jetty in the early afternoon, on a stormy day, and didn't get a bite, but looks like a great spot.

On the far left side of the beach, there is another hotel. There are some bolders over the water surface there, within casting distance from the shore. I didn't try casting there, but snorkelers say there is some fish there.

I caught most of my fish in the evenings in the marina. There is a short dock, with very bright lighting, close to the entrance to the Hotel. You won't miss it at night. When it's dark, there are schools of very large fish (up to several feet long) circling in the light, within arm's reach from the dock. These fish don't take any baits or lures that I tried and just slowly move away when you throw bait at them. They are just not feeding. I think they are some kind of mullet. There are so many of them and they are so close, that one can probably grab them with a hand. I decided not to bother these fish and instead fished under the dock. There, with a small hook and some shrimp I got decent-sized (up to a foot-long) red snappers and a few similar-looking fish. With small spoon lures, I got some small jacks. They were present on some days, but not on others. And when I tried 1/4 oz jigheads with Gulp mullet and lowered them uner the dock, I was able to get some nicely-sized barracudas one day. If you go and fish there, be careful with barracudas. First, beware of the teeth. Second, despite the fierce looks, they turned out to be very gentle fish. So, don't hold them suspended from the lure (it can damage their internal organs) and release them ASAP, othewise they may go belly up on you.

I never tried fishing on the ocean side at night, but suspect there may be some big fish there, coming in with the dark. I'll try that if I go there next time. My suggestion to anyone going there, bring gulp baits, jigheads, small spoons and lots of weedless hooks and trebles on everything.

If you go there, or to any other place in St. Maartin, please post your impressions in this thread. I think it would be a great idea if everyone posted their fishing impressions and suggestions after traveling anywhere to fish.

Those large fish under the light were most likely tarpon. I hammered 20#'s under the same circumstances in the keys. Glo in the dark rubber squid on a jighead did the trick. Nice report.

thank you so much to every one that has posted here. im going to riu next sunday i'm bringing my fly pole and a catfish pole. on the fly pole im going to use tarpon flies and i have a few other flies for snapper. on the catfish pole i will have fresh shrimp or prawn going under the docks. did you ask for permission to fish in the harbor? what lures should i bring other than flies. anything i should bring that i wouldn't think of. lastly any place i should try out other than the dock area you didn't get too. thank you so much every one.