Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bass Ackwards

Remington GameMaster 760 Advise needed

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

My son was out with his this morning and while crossing a small stream he slipped on a rock, he got a wet ass, the gun got a cracked forarm and a ding in the stock. It's still shootable but really should have the forarm replaced or repaired. He just wants to keep using it until it comes apart. I reminded him that will only happen at the worst opertune time, he just said "I'll replace it then". :banghd:.

Does anyone know if one forarm fits all caliburs? His is a 30/06 that I bought used. Looks like this.

What about synthetic stocks, never had one.

And before anyone says it, I did tell him to shoot the gun and make sure it still puts bullets where they are supposed to go.

I wouldn't shoot it. I may feed some rounds thru it without firing to see that it functions. check gunbroker for parts(stock) and get an idea on what fits and prices as well.

Nick

I believe 760's of that vintage--looks like a 1970's ADL to me--all had the same forearms, regardless of caliber. Had one for years--a classic for northeast whitetails.

I believe 760's of that vintage--looks like a 1970's ADL to me--all had the same forearms, regardless of caliber. Had one for years--a classic for northeast whitetails.

I googled them up and was sent to ebay. A bunch there, all claiming that the forarm fits all 760's no matter what calibur. The gun was "old" when I bought it around 18 years ago. Prices there range from ~$70 to ~$120.

He's killed a bunch of deer with it, just wish it was a 35 Remington instead of 30/06.

I googled them up and was sent to ebay. A bunch there, all claiming that the forarm fits all 760's no matter what calibur. The gun was "old" when I bought it around 18 years ago. Prices there range from ~$70 to ~$120.

He's killed a bunch of deer with it, just wish it was a 35 Remington instead of 30/06.

Gun Parts corp $60

:v:

BA,

Is the forearm missing any of the wood...splinters, anything? If not, I've had excellent results steaming the grain back out and then Marine Epoxy. If you want it factory fresh then I understand...mementos and all that but if the rifle is a user then you might consider this as an alternative.

I had a Ruger 22 Mannlicher Stock (among others) that took a crash when my friends 4-wheeler rolled. If you've ever tried to purchase that stock you'll know it's cheaper to replace the gun. Anyway, I did have to refurbish the stock but in the end even the crack through the checkering looked OEM.

Just a thought

In the 70's my first deer rifle was a 30/06 760, which I had for years. In the 80's I got one of the 760 .35 Rem models that Remington had made a run of in the late 70's (I think?). I had the barrels on both cut down to 19" carbine length and they made superb rifles for hunting Pennsylvania whitetails in the thick stuff. Eventually sold them both since I have not hunted a rifle season in years, but my 20 ga 870 slug gun is basically a 760 in disguise ;)

There were a lot of these made.

If it's cracked through and you want to salvage it you could get some thin fiberglass cloth (small amount...hobby shop) and epoxy it to the inside (wood may have to be relieved a bit)

This became a standard factory item on Remington (and other) shotguns.