Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buckscorider

Penn Battle Noise (Help!)

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Fished the storm last night til 3 AM (skunk) then got some rest in the truck. My back up rod sat in the rack in the rain all night but never went near the surf. Today when I went to clean it makes a noise (ZZZZZZZZZ) when I crank it. Feels a little tight too. Same thing happed to my buddy's battle and he took it to Penn for a quick fix. They didn't tell him what they did.

I could take it back to Penn too but need it back in action tomorrow. Anybody know what the fix is? Next time I keep it covered!! Thanks!

progress.gifEdit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Fished the storm last night til 3 AM (skunk) then got some rest in the truck. My back up rod sat in the rack in the rain all night but never went near the surf. Today when I went to clean it makes a noise (ZZZZZZZZZ) when I crank it. Feels a little tight too. Same thing happed to my buddy's battle and he took it to Penn for a quick fix. They didn't tell him what they did.

I could take it back to Penn too but need it back in action tomorrow. Anybody know what the fix is? Next time I keep it covered!! Thanks!

My Penn Conflict started doing the same yesterday morning. Regreased and oiled the gearbox and shaft and it's working fine again.

Fixed! Turns out there's a circular spring that comes loose and the fix is to throw it away. My buddy was told that at Penn then I found some info on the web. Tore it down, greased and good to go. Thanks!

Fixed! Turns out there's a circular spring that comes loose and the fix is to throw it away. My buddy was told that at Penn then I found some info on the web. Tore it down, greased and good to go. Thanks!

What circular spring? Inside the spool? That's the drag clicker and yeah you don't need it but you won't hear it when line is spooled out by the fish. Some people remove it intentionally.

There is a bit of assumption on my part. The guy at Penn told my buddy the problem was a part that really wasn't needed. He wasn't specific but when I took the reel apart this spring was lose. Noise source?! I didn't even have to look for it. Also saw a post where someone else had the same problem (video) and the Penn Rep ID'd the general area to look.

Anyway when I put it back together the noise was gone and the reel works fine so far. Any more info on the problem is appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkman View Post

That's the anti-reverse bushing spring. Not sure why Penn would tell you to toss it. It's sort of like the emergency brake on your car.

The 4000 size and down do not have the backup anti-reverse pawl so if there is a spring its doing nothing at all...

The 4000 size and down do not have the backup anti-reverse pawl so if there is a spring its doing nothing at all...

So he should tell us which battle he has. Not sure why Penn would put a AR spring in a model that has no dog pawl but maybe.

The 5000 has the back up pawl that catches the inside of the rotor if you anti-reverse bearing fails. With the spring removed now it won't work. As long as the AR bearing works you are OK. If it gives up the reel will go backwards on you.

Thanks form the info Handi. Sounds like you know your stuff. The other day was the first time a took apart a reel. So tell me if this anti reverse bearing fails when will it likely happen? Fighting a fish?

Should I try to put it back in? Should I take it back to Penn or just not worry about it?? Thanks for the info again!

I have a Penn Conflict 2500. After first buying it, it made some annoying "whooshing" noises. After breaking it in with some nice stripers, groundfish, and LMB's over the course of the summer, the noise went away. I haven't opened it up yet, but I ought to service my reels soon. Hoping that it was just grease that had not yet spread around all the gears. 

If it were my reel I would want the spring in so the back up anti-reverse will work if ever needed. There is a collar that sits on the pinion gear and the spring goes on that collar. If the pinion gear were to go backwards the friction of the spring on the collar pushes the backup lever out to catch the inside teeth molded into the rotor.

If it were making noise it may have been just dirty.

Thanks Handi :)

It's nothing too serious, but I will go by your advice in the future, as all the penn spinners I've bought have been making some unwanted noises. Some were just dirty as you said.

Tight Lines.