Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squidlips

Van Staal for sale?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

The question is, how much? This aint your average run of the mill VS.

Its an early (1996-97) model 300. It's gold. It has an oil change set screw under the handle. And, (here's the biggie) it has been hand engraved with a hammer and chisel by "master firearms engraver, Bob Kain of Vermont". The engraving is of a georgeous striped bass. the serial # on the reel is in the low 500's. I would like to try to establish a true dollar value for this reel on the secondary market. It is new in the box although it has been spooled with line.

If nothing else, should make for an interesting thread and a chance to get off a couple good ones at the expense of everybody's favorite squidster.

Note, This reel will be sold, I was just hoping for a one hand washes the other kind of deal. Help me figure out what its worth, maybe we can keep it in the "family" here rather than run it through e-bay.

Thanks again, squidlips

Ive never seen one with an oil change set screw but if it is one with the original machine screws on the side plate and it is new $800-$900 sounds about right.

The engraving is worth a few bucks.The oil change screw sounds a little suspect though. Why would the company put an oil change hole in a reel they want you to send in for Yearly service?

I think the oil change set screw is stock. This was the first VS I had ever seen. It is a 1996 year reel.

It sounds like VS may have said why let them do something for free when we can charge them for it.

Squidly, I have your (now stinky) little yellow eel lugging bag in my cooler...I'll trade ya? If that's not enough, I'll even wash the bag first if you'll leave the line on the VS! Deal? wink.gif

TimS

I have the 1996 Van Staal catalog, sort of a collectors item. They actually had the stones to charge $4 for the catalog back then, although I got mine for free at the MV Derby weigh-in. List price on the VS 300 back then was $449--actually, at their current $499, they really haven't gone up all THAT much compared to the smaller models. I don't have it here in front of me right now, but as I recall, the engraving added $389 to that price.

This was right after VS bought out Ronnie Dietrich at Coastal Fishing Products (they wanted his line of surf bags and his rod-making reputation) and they decided to offer a full line of gear in their catalog, hoping to trade in on the cachet of their name. The prices in the catalog were ridiculously outrageous,,for example, they were selling Gibbs bottle plugs and darters--both of which sold for under $10 apiece at the time--at what is their current price, in fact, for more than what Tim is asking in the on-line store. They wanted close to $40 for a one-pound spool of Big Game mono when Bass Pro was selling them for $21.95 and every tackle shop in the world sold it for less than $30. Their custom rods were still being built on Lamiglas blanks and the price for a GSB 132 1M was $450--without a reel seat. Duolock snaps were about a quarter apiece when you bought them by the gross, when even today they run less than $2 a dozen. Maybe they had that guy from Vermont engrave them before they sold them???

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 10-26-2000).]

I'd venture a guess in the $500 range, but then I'm a cheap SOB. Mine is a 1994-1995 model, i think I got one of the first that you couldnt open up. When I saw the new ones I said, "hey what is this?"

when did they start selling them, 92 or 93?

I remember the offer to have mine engraved. I wasnt keen on more bucks, but I looked into it. I was worried about how the engraving might create places where the salt could collect.

Re coastal i miss that stuff. Once in a while I'll see a white surf bag on the beach some place. also miss the dri core stuff.

If VS goes ahead with this new drag system and the price jumps, should be interesting what it does to the price of the older reels. May help the price up a bit.

Basically, I think the original VS surf bags were Coastal bags made from a grey, rather than white, Dacron. They ordered dyed material, put a leather VS label on the flap and instantly marked the price up about $60. The Coastals were sharp, no question about it. One of the West End Warriors was sporting one at the Fling.

I didn't see the Koelwyn clan at the Vineyard this year, first time in about 7 years. Maybe times are getting tough up there in Stratford? Then again, we weren't on the beach much after 7 AM and that's early for those folks to hit the beach biggrin.gif

I think the original VS 300 came out in the fall of 92. As some folks may remember, it was supposed to be marketed thru The Surfcaster in the spring of that year, and was originally going to be called the US Surf 300. The deal between Priestberger and the VS boys went sour, I hear, and Bill got zippo for the reel even though it was he who went to VS with the original design.

One of the selling points in the original VS ads, if you recall, was that the reels were constructed out of parts you could obtain in any industrial supply house, if you ever needed to repair the reel. The original 300s had a bunch of Allen-type machine screws holding the left plate on. Depending on who you talk to, either the new completely sealed versions were done because there were some leakage problem on the original screw held 300s, or were done because some marketing genius thought that the annual maintenence deal would be an enormous cash cow.

Wow has it really been that long. I remember driving out to Ronnie's place just down the road from Kenny's beach in Southold to get some great deals on Mambo's and another plug they don't make anymore called the Thunder Mack. That's my second favorite daytime plug after a pencil. I think I paid $2.50 a plug and I'm still working on the couple of dozen I bought. The small chicken scratch early July on Gin Beach, was the only thing that would catch. But the hooks are definetly too skimpy. Van Staal did have a plug from North Bar Tackle, I've been looking for. It's called a bottle darter, anyone got any sources? Sorry about the deviation Squidlips it just seems everyone here has walked the same beach path.

TL Shag

Ditch, I definately recall the part about the parts being available at any industrial warehouse. I think they may have been trying to reassure the early adopters that if the VS thing was a failure that they could still fix it with off the shelf parts. That having been said I wish my VS 300 had the early hex screw sideplate to make it easy to get apart. I suppose the industrial parts thing applies to a couple of bearings, clips and o-rings. The gear train etc has got to be a different story. With the cost of annual service which is needed to keep the warrantee it might prove economically viable to perform do it yourself service. My line roller bearing (newest design)has failed several times but the VS people have replaced it free of cost. (I speculate the steady beating of Lami 1321M, Gibbs 3 1/2 Oz Pencil Popper and Whiplash 50 might be a bit much).I have already lined up a local industrial source for the bearing and accumulated a small supply just in case they change their minds. Any adventuresome folks take their VS apart?

yes, a bunch of buddies have the early VS reels you can open with an allen wrench. I'd take one of those in mint condition! whenever somebody decides to part with one it takes about 30 seconds to sell it. By the time i hear about it, its long gone.

Shag the guy that made that bottle darter gave me one . never fished it. I have it with my collection. looks to me just like a bottle with the head sanded down.

[This message has been edited by JohnP (edited 10-26-2000).]

This one is a sealed unit with a screw to add/change the gearcase oil. The screw is located at the end of the shaft the handle assembly threads onto. Do they still offer the engraving option? If so, is it still done by the same guy?