Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turkaholic

Close down SW ledge

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Why wouldn't the fish police close down Block Island's Southwest ledge? After the beat down the bass took this year with relentless pressure from 4 states of bass beaters, would this be a good step in the recovery effort? It would hurt some charter men, but one would think someone who pays to fish would understand the value in catch and release and saving the breeders. It is gut wrenching to think about how many big cows went down out there this year. WHY ? It has to be all about the money, that is sad. There is no enforcement to speak of and we are paying for it in many ways. Don't forget to buy your SW fishing license or you will face a fine, give me a break. Fish politics at its best. Something's got to change.

There's nothing to shut down. You can fish there, its within 3mi of block but further from other states. Its legal to catch fish there and transport them back even though you enter the eez once you leave block.

If the regs go to one fish per day you will see protection, 2 @ some other number won't do **** there since those fish are well over 28,32, 34".

That could lead us down a very slippery slope because it would in essence set up a marine sanctuary and once they are established they tend not to go away and if anything only grow in area. Sure it is nice to protect the large breeders but establishing a marine sanctuary off Block Island isn't the way to go. If you want to protect the breeders then eliminate the trophy season in the breeding areas like the Chesapeake and Hudson rivers. Another way to protect the breeders is to establish a slot limit fishery. I definitely wouldn't want to see a marine sanctuary established anywhere along the RI coast because it wouldn''t take long for the entire Bay to be closed to fishing under the guise of a marine sanctuary.

We don't need to give PITA any ideas they don't already have.

Ron

Quote:

Originally Posted by rel1 View Post

That could lead us down a very slippery slope because it would in essence set up a marine sanctuary and once they are established they tend not to go away and if anything only grow in area. Sure it is nice to protect the large breeders but establishing a marine sanctuary off Block Island isn't the way to go. If you want to protect the breeders then eliminate the trophy season in the breeding areas like the Chesapeake and Hudson rivers. Another way to protect the breeders is to establish a slot limit fishery. I definitely wouldn't want to see a marine sanctuary established anywhere along the RI coast because it wouldn''t take long for the entire Bay to be closed to fishing under the guise of a marine sanctuary.

We don't need to give PITA any ideas they don't already have.

Ron

Why is a marine sanctuary such a bad idea?

Fish sanctuaries have proved to be a very effective method for increasing the populations of non- migratory species. Whether it would work with migratory species like strikers is a good question, but it seems like it would be worth a try. Do we really need to be able to fish every square inch of the ocean all the time?

No to fish sanctuaries. Responsible harvest, managing the fish for their benefit, not max catch is the way to go. Also, the mindset of the average rec angler needs to change. Too many see bass as a pound of meat that they can take home. The majority of these guy are new to the fishery, at lest after the last crash. They didn't see that and can't relate. Hopefully those that did can impress upon them the need to do more now.

from what I understand a " lot " of those fish caught by charters and rec's alike there make it onto the "backdoor" commercial market while others go to the ma commercial market. eliminating that practice would go a long way to help this particular stock of fish.

from what I understand a " lot " of those fish caught by charters and rec's alike there make it onto the "backdoor" commercial market while others go to the ma commercial market. eliminating that practice would go a long way to help this particular stock of fish.

I agree. The black market is a problem but probably damn near impossible to get a hand on. The legit commercial market, at least those fish are going against the quota.

If the regs go to one fish per person per day that will help a lot in this area. If it stays at two, not going to do ****.

Fish sanctuaries have proved to be a very effective method for increasing the populations of non- migratory species. Whether it would work with migratory species like strikers is a good question, but it seems like it would be worth a try. Do we really need to be able to fish every square inch of the ocean all the time?
No we do not need to fish every square inch of ocean, but if they establish a marine sanctuary off Long Island, say and you have no where to fish but to travel to North Carolina would you still fish? Sanctuaries aren't the way to go. Responsible fishing is the only way to rebuild the stock. Also taking the price off their heads would go a long way and eliminating the "back door" sales by requiring restaurants and fish markets to account for the origin of all fish in their establishment at any time, and make inspections mandatory for this documentation. These back door operations are cash deals so there are no taxes etc. paid or income reported. Just saying I think a marine sanctuary is a bad idea in shore when we already have the EEZ and that is being violated by some.

Ron

I understand the sense of urgency after the slaughter of bigg fish that happened off the SW corner this summer..... it was a goldrush mentality at its worst. however, jumping to the opposite extreme and halting ALL fishing in that area is biting off your nose to spite your face, and as stated, once your put a "no-go" designation on an area, it rarely gets reversed, and can lead o the slipperyslope effect where other areas start cutting closed to fishing

I can't believe fishermen on this site are actually discussing fish sanctuaries.......as has been said above, become responsible for your OWN actions, don't dictate to others what THEY should do.....next we will be discussing just using glass bottom boats for non-invasive sport fishing....

Agreed. There's too little enforcement. I suspect this process begins early in the season in the Providence River.

I understand the sense of urgency after the slaughter of bigg fish that happened off the SW corner this summer..... it was a goldrush mentality at its worst. however, jumping to the opposite extreme and halting ALL fishing in that area is biting off your nose to spite your face, and as stated, once your put a "no-go" designation on an area, it rarely gets reversed, and can lead o the slipperyslope effect where other areas start cutting closed to fishing

I will never support the idea of a marine sanctuary where no fishing is allowed. That can't ever be allowed to happen.