Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

How do you fish rubber beyond the bar?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks.

I'm thinking of those days when sand eels are thick and bass, being picky and they're beyond the outer bar.

Some times they are reluctant to take other offerings (e.g.metal or needles). In these cases a life-like sand eel w/ nice action, soft mouth feel and lots of scent (e.g. smelly jelly or bio-edge) dangled and wiggled in their face might just be the ticket to convince a full and lethargic bass to eat.

Obviously can't achieve beyond the bar distance on their own. What type rig would you use to fish this type of lure beyond the bar? To me the obvious would be a drop shot / dropper loop presentation with a bank sinker at the terminal end. I was speaking with a gentlemen on the beach last week who said he molds torpedo shaped sliding sinkers and fishes it Carolina style (i.e. lure, leader, swivel, bead, leader, sliding sinker, bead, swivel, running line). This would be good if they're looking down. If they're looking up a casting egg would be the ticket.

How would you guys do this?

Thanks!

JD

DISCLAIMER: I am about to describe a rig that I use for a totally different application.

Clip a "Fluke Ball" (a chrome, cannonball-shaped weight) to the end of your line.

The 'cannonball' has two eyes, tie a leader and your teaser to the second eye.

If sand eels were the primary bait, I would think "Redgill."

Assuming the bottom is sandy, retrieving this setup yields puffs of sand, with something swimming right behind it.

I use this setup when drifting for Fluke, with a teaser added via dropper-loop above the ball.

(That is to say, two hooks, with neither on the ball.)

Running line to a swivel with a short leader on it, two or three feet of mono is fine.

Mono to a quality 3-way swivel. I'd put three swivels (NOT crappy Sampos, unless you want to spend money on ball bearing swivels) on a big split ring.

One swivel to a line to ball or teardrop sinker.

One eye for a line to the Red Gill. Use something stiffer than the mono to the first swivel - leader material, fluoro or hard Mason mono or whatever.

Wrap a cut-off hook to that first length of mono. Hook Red Gill over said hook. Cast.

Sinker lands, stiff leader doesn't fold as easily as do softer monos. Walk along shore while entire rig blows down-current.

If this isn't clear, go to Breakaway's site and contemplate the rigs there.

Nothing original in this, I read of this kind of rig in John Holden's books, in the 1970s.

Here's what I've been using with decent success here in southern new jerseys sandy beaches..... Basic teaser setup, with a big 3 oz. Charlie Graves butterfish on the end and 30 - 36 above that a 6 inch mister twister curly tail grub teaser. Now I have substituted both but the metal/tin has to be at least 3 ounces. Have also had super success with zoom flukes, fin-s fish, small Sluggos and powerbait worms! All of this with at least a 10 foot rod.......... I've had very good results with this basic setup that reaches the bar within reach of at least 70 yards.....