Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MartyK

Wader Seams

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I know the subject of waders has been written about ad nauseum, but I want to add my experience. I have never had waders leak anywhere other than where the boot meets the material. If I'm lucky I get 10 weeks before the leak begins. I rinse my waders after every use with fresh water. Fortunately, I buy my waders at LL Bean, so as soon as I see water on the tube socks I wear under my waders, I order a new pair. Then with the same box the new ones come in I return the old ones for credit. If the timing is right, the credit comes in the same month as the charge for the new ones, but if not it's only a minor cash flow problem.

The true purpose of my post is, wouldn't one think that with all the wader returns that take place, some manufacturer/distributor would come up with a way to reinforce that one seam that probably causes most of us to return our leaking waders? There has to be some material or adhesive they can add to at least lengthen the life cycle of waders. I've thought about drenching the seam in Aquaseal, but I'm afraid it would be perceived by LL Bean that I abused the waders and create return problems.

It's really true that most bootfoot waders will begin to leak at the boot seam where it connects to the fabric. I've had to return many pairs of waders to Orvis and have discussed the problem many times with them. They have tried for several years to improve their waders at this spot but the problem continues. I believe Orvis no longer replaces their leaky waders on the spot as they did previously and have been told they accept their return but give you only a $30 credit towards the purchase of a new pair. Be assured, the wader companies know all about this leaky connection and I think this is the reason there are so few wader companies offering bootfoot waders. Let's be thankful Ll Bean continues to give the customer good service and replaces the waders:)

I've found that when rinsing off my waders, if I pick them up by the boots and let the fabric hang over my arm while carrying them, I'm not getting nearly as many leaks as I used to have. In fact, since I started doing this, my Simms bootfoot waders are on their third season, something I've never experienced before. I think by carrying the waders by their top allows those heavy boots to pull at the boot top seam, stretching the fabric and leading to a leak. Try it with your next pair of new waders - hope it will work for you as well.

And, because of Ll Bean's generous warranty, I wouldn't hesitate to smear a whole line of Goop or Aquaseal along the seam to either fix a leak or prevent one, of course, doing it from the inside so the waders stay looking good.

On replacing waders. Last year at this time my Ovis Edura boot foot wader started to leak. I went online and they did not have them in stock and were not expect in stock for few months. I called the Ovis store in Simsbury and they said they had a problem were felt attached to the boat. So I went to LLBean and order a pair of there cheap boot foot. They only came with rubber soles. Well this year they started to leak, so I called LLBean. They told me if they had them in the store near me( Danbury Ct ) I could trade them in there. They had them and the next day I had a new pair of waders. The only bad thing is they had rubber soles. For where I fish on the sound that was no problem. I still do a little stream fish so I needed a pair with felt soles. Called Ovis store and talked to someone and they said they had a pair in stock. Took a ride up there with my old waders and they gave me a new pair at no charge. So I can't complain about the way I was treated by either dealer.

I recently met a fisherman on a local beach who told me he used a Water Proof Product that he said was used on Tents to ensure that stay waterproof. He told me the name but I cannot recall what it was. Anyone on This site know anything about the product? Have any of you used it? I would like to give it a try by using it on the Seams of my waders. Thank You

sb

The best thing that you can say about Bean is that they have a high quality guarantee, but a high quality product - no. Their waders are going to leak, plain and simple.

My last pair of simms start leaking a while back. They were old and I decided to aqua seal all the seams due to some small but highly annoying leaks. It worked quite well.

Tip - don't waste your money on aqua seal. Get goop and a west marine (or where ever). It cost less for about twice as much.