Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DMacLeod

Sux when people don't play by the rules...

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Deer season officially opens tomorrow (resident only day) at 06:13. Well I was just looking out the kitchen window and hear a rifle shot at 6:02 PM..... :mad:

Could have been someone shooting a yore but doubtful....

Cheating bastige

There's well over a thousand acres out there and the locals hit it pretty good opening day.

With any luck I'll see one tomorrow. If it's brown, it's down (I've got a doe tag)

Today is opening day for land owners in Ct., my kid is out there now. There is almost no pressure here which makes hunting them hard at times because they aren't being moved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post

There's well over a thousand acres out there and the locals hit it pretty good opening day.

With any luck I'll see one tomorrow. If it's brown, it's down (I've got a doe tag)

I used to hunt north of Bangor for a few years.   Really tough deer hunting up there.  

Also hunted around Grey a little.

Beautiful country though.  Hope it hasnt changed too much.  

Good luck up there.  

I used to hunt north of Bangor for a few years.   Really tough deer hunting up there.  

Also hunted around Grey a little.

Beautiful country though.  Hope it hasnt changed too much.  

Good luck up there.  

Tough hunting due to terrain or tough hunting due to not enough deer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

Both.  Tons of land, fewer deer than I was used to.  Plus I wasnt as experienced.  

Terrain isn't too bad. Just be good with a GPS and always carry a compass and TRUST it. Lots of woods with not many roads. Getting turned round or lost could happen easily.

I used to hunt up north of Patten religiously every year. (have 2 cousins who have camps on Shin Pond) They say the deer population isn't what it used to be, not even close. Last couple of years they wouldn't see many, if any bucks. These are guys who have been hunting up there for around 40 years and have a few deer that dressed at over 200#s.

The last couple of years I went up I saw more moose than deer. (stopped going in 08)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post

The last couple of years I went up I saw more moose than deer. (stopped going in 08)

+1

Its a long time ago now, but we hunted up in Alton for a while.  Way more land than a NJ guy is accustomed to.  No GPS back then, but a compass was a must.  Saw more moose than deer as well.  And more tamarack and bogs than I thought could exist! 

Grey/portland area (didnt hunt there but a few times) was more like PA/NJ.  Property lines to contend with which limited where/how you hunt.   

Good times all around.  Miss it.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseybuddha View Post

Rather wonder the woods up there than down here in nj. Hard to find somewhere to hunt you can't hear traffic.

Yep. Never drew a bead on a deer, but enjoyed the whole experience(s) immensely.   

Hare hunting was good.