Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lamiglasmike

Surf fishing boots?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

OK quick question. What does everyone where on there feet on the beach while surf fishing, between the warm weather and the cold wader weather?

I recently pulled a groan muscle and while trying to fish in my breathable waders it was a little uncomfortable. The next day I just had on my hiking shoes and played the watch the wave coming in game!! ;) It was much easier on my injury with the boots/shoes. I'm thinking a good light weight knee high boot, any suggestions?

Thanks, Lami

Lamiglasmike, I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with . Personally in the warm weather I wear shorts/bathing suit and maybe watershoes or just barefoot mostly, but I'm fishing sand beaches on LI. In the spring and fall I wear breathable waders and find them to be very comfortable especially compared to my old rubber or neoprene ones .l wear either jeans or sweatpants underneath with nice insulated socks .

I do fish in shorts and bare feet during the warmer months but there are some areas where you need to have your feet covered/protected.

Does anyone use the boots for the stocking foot waders without the waders.? Just wondering how comfortable they are after a few hours of fishing.

I do fish in shorts and bare feet during the warmer months but there are some areas where you need to have your feet covered/protected.

Does anyone use the boots for the stocking foot waders without the waders.? Just wondering how comfortable they are after a few hours of fishing.

I do and they are fine, even in the summer I wear them on the jetties. I have soles that go in if I will be wearing thin socks or bare feet and it comes out to wear stocking foot waders.

In the sand, I would not just wear wading boots. The amount of sand that will get in them on the first wave will ruin the rest of the day. An alternative are neoprene boots which are tighter and will still provide warmth but help keep most of that sand out. All that being said, I typically do not wear anything on my feet and just deal with the numbness that comes with warm air/cold water fishing.

I wear a neoprene wading shoe that has a sole, Cabela's and other companies make them. They run about 50 bucks. I use them when wade fishing in the summer and got them really for fishing Florida's constantly changing shoreline, not to mention some protection from stingrays. Work well  around Long Island shores, cause lets face it there's always that piece of glass that's going to get you.

Mike in the cool weather I wear hip waders a size larger with extra socks and use a plastic bag (small trash can liner) they slid on slide off and never had a problem with them slippin when walkig or wading with them on . hope this helps

Spats that's a great idea , my mom used to have us do that with the old guloshers (rain boots) that we would slip on over our school shoes, except it was old Wonder bread bags ! I'll have to do that with my waders , sometimes they are tough to get off .

LamiMike............. Get yourself a nice pair of those Muck boots and some neoprene socks for the fall.....Bam! :th: you're set for some fall fishing walking the sandy beaches. I have some nice waders but find myself using my Muck boots walking the surf. Of course, once the rough surf sets in, it's time for the waders......but for any other occasion, I'm finding out my boots are doing the trick for a hike on the sand. Summer set-up is self explanatory ;)