Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adotkilla1

Stripers from the surf

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm a new member and am looking for a little advice. I just got back from my 4th trip to cape hatteras in the outer banks. The guys I go with are all about fishing for red drum but I have yet to catch one, or even see one caught by our group. We did land some nice blues a couple weeks ago and caught some massive rays at least.

For the past couple years I've been wanting to land a striper so bad. I've fished a few spots in pt pleasant and only was able to land blues and fluke. I know the most crucial thing with stripers is timing. My question is are there stripers being caught off the beach in southern New Jersey? I'm from PA and I'm able to drive to any place in jersey. Not looking for specific spots just don't wanna take the drive to find out they're not running. If not this wknd, any idea what wknd should be good?

I appreciate any info and help. Thanks!!

Adot

Check the NJ forum reports thread. Mid-November in NJ is pretty reliable. Island Beach State Park is a nice central location... accessible with plenty of public parking... good place as any to start for someone from outside the area.

Oh, and skip this weekend. These conditions won't be fun.

TONIGHT

NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT...

INCREASING TO 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SEAS 4 TO 7 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF

8 SECONDS. A CHANCE OF RAIN EARLY THIS EVENING...THEN RAIN LATE

THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

SAT

NE WINDS AROUND 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 KT. SEAS 7 TO

10 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 7 SECONDS.

RAIN. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS...INCREASING TO 1 TO 3 NM IN THE

AFTERNOON.

SAT NIGHT

N WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 7 TO 10 FT DOMINANT PERIOD

9 SECONDS. RAIN LIKELY EARLY IN THE EVENING...THEN A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS IN THE LATE EVENING AND EARLY MORNING. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

SUN

NE WINDS 30 TO 35 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT DOMINANT PERIOD

10 SECONDS...SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 7 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 10 SECONDS

EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON.

Two suggestions:

-When fishing lures fish them SUPER SLOOW!! Stop the plug every so often and let it sit still. With poppers when you go to start up again just "jiggle" the plug and let it sit again.

-When fishing bait make sure it's fresh and has plenty of scent!! Use any of the commercial scents on fresh baits and change the bait often (every twenty minutes or less).

Both take extreme diligence and patience.

Good luck and make sure you put in your time.

Thanks a lot guys, big help. When you say use commercial scents is that referring to a spray made by gulp or something?

I own a few plugs but not sure if they're good striper plugs or not. Does anyone have a link to some solid striper plugs? Should I be buying ones that mimic bunker?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adotkilla1 View Post

Thanks a lot guys, big help. When you say use commercial scents is that referring to a spray made by gulp or something?

I own a few plugs but not sure if they're good striper plugs or not. Does anyone have a link to some solid striper plugs? Should I be buying ones that mimic bunker?

Thanks!

To make every plug you own a real good striper or blue fish plug is place a six inch strip of squid on one or both hooks on the plug or lure. Everyone will be watching you catch fish!!!  I first pull the heads off the squids and place them into a plastic container that has a high concentration of kosher salt. The bodies  I clean and cut into strips . I leave some strips white and some I dye red,black, yellow using food dye. Then I place these in a brine solution. By doing this it preserves and toughen the squid .   Good luck fishing

Hooking squid strips on plug hooks? I'm not saying it will not work, however I would imagine it would drastically kill the intended action of the plug design.

I'm with you Pistol , if you want to put those homemade squid strips on a bucktail or a hopkins I'd go for that . But on a darter or pencil or any swimming lure I'm not so sure about . Could be wrong but I've never done it or even seen it done .