Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattfish

wire line jigging

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Ok, New to fishing cape cod this season and the first thing my friend did was put me to work wire line jigging. I did it a few times after that and although it kicks the cr@p out of you, it's productive.

Btw: I've caught fish using all the different jigging motions

But now I am going to get my own gear, and the rod was easy since several brands make them specifically for It. The confusing part is the reel! Is Penn the only one that makes a reel specifically for it? (The 113HSP)

OR are there other reels out there that have spools that won't corrode when loads with 100 yards of stainless steel wire? If so what are they??

I used to use wire and found life so much easier when I ditched the wired and went to trolling a super braid line. Braid doesn't have the same sink rate as wire but it's pretty close. Do some accurate testing and you'll find a little tweaking of the weight of the jigs or possibly an in line trolling sinker ahead of the leader will give the same results as wire with none of the inherent problems of wire. You can use a lighter rod and Penn has several reels much smaller and lighter than the Senator models. Everything is lighter, making the whole experience much more fun

I've been using the penn gti 330 for years little to no problems. The shimano tekota 800 is also a good Choice because you are using a Dacron backing and In between 150 foot lengths I've had no prob with corrosion.1000

Any Penn will do for the most part, but so will the Shimano's mentioned above.  My advice is to not jig with the rod like the charter nuts do. After the wire I use "Magic Braid", it's a thick diameter braid you tie in between the dacron backing and the wire.  You only need about 6 feet of it.  I use it so I can put the rod in a rod holder and hand jig the line.  It allows for more hook ups by far IMO, and you will not get nearly as tired.  

Any Penn will do for the most part, but so will the Shimano's mentioned above.  My advice is to not jig with the rod like the charter nuts do. After the wire I use "Magic Braid", it's a thick diameter braid you tie in between the dacron backing and the wire.  You only need about 6 feet of it.  I use it so I can put the rod in a rod holder and hand jig the line.  It allows for more hook ups by far IMO, and you will not get nearly as tired.  

Can't you just hand jig the dacron?

I'd personally stick with a Penn and I forgot about the Daiwa Sealine, they're good too.  Both are easier to rebuild and the parts are available everywhere, the Tekota is a lever drag...  Which is nice, but I guess I'm just used to star drags.  If I'm fishing for striper with wire I want a star drag 4/0 senator 114h almost locked down..  don't forget a roller tip on your rod.. 

my jigging rods have a carbide roller tip top ( Aftco ) and carbide guides , but not rollers. With a 100' of wire you could use a 500 Jigmaster with a steel spool.and braid backing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfish View Post

A 114 or a 4/0? My buddy only needs 100 yards of wire where he is

As far as I know a 114 in any shape high speed or wide is a 4/0..  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagh2point0 View Post

The tekota is not a leaver drag it is a star drag. If you are going to be jigging parachutes you do not want a roller tip.

You're right, I was thinking of the TLD..  They are real nice to fish with, but not really practical and I'm not a fan of a levelwind(Tekota) when wire fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb View Post

my jigging rods have a carbide roller tip top ( Aftco ) and carbide guides , but not rollers. With a 100' of wire you could use a 500 Jigmaster with a steel spool.and braid backing.

so like I said...  a roller at the tip... and ya don't need carbide guides..  steel guides will work for you forever, just wash them down every trip..

We're talking about wire jigging fellas..  I may have next leveled it by bringing magic braid into it, but, this is not rocket science..  A penn, a 7' rod, some wire and dacron, and a jig... Chagh, I don't like using parachutes, I like bullethead jigs, they seem to produce more unless I'm in 50+ ft. of water, then a smiling bill in green slowly jigged is the ticket.  For me..  That's just my opinion.  

We used to jig parachutes on wire on a friend's boat.

He taught us to hole the rod sort of backwards, more like a canoe paddle.

Tip down, butt up, thumbs pointing towards the butt.

You can jig all day long like that.

The tricky bit was making the transition when you got bit.

After the first few it gets easy.

Interestingly, the bass would hit on the drop and the blues on the pull, most of the time.

The old wire line standard was the ultra narrow spool Penn 49.