Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mericanwit

Round Steak?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Ok, just had a moo moo cut up and opted for some, "round steak." I've had my share of round roast, really not a big fan... Anyway, how would you gourmands out there treat this cut of meat? Any particular, "secret," go to recipes? I currently have one I just wet marinaded in the fridge waiting til tomorrow to toss on the Weber kettle grill weather permitting. Was figuring that after grilling just slice on the bias against the grain and make some tortas or fajitas...

Sooo.... ANy info is always greatly appreciated.

Top round is often sold for London Broil, so what you have going is about the best you can do.

Personally, not a fan of round steak as it is lean, not much flavor, and not always tender, so it has 3 strikes against it from the start. Perhaps can be used in stews or chilies, or maybe "stripped" and pan sauteed for something like fajitas.

Or grind it up with some added fat for ground beef.

Steve, yup on all 3 attributes.... Seasoned and Seared on the grill and then crock potted with sliced cabbage a lil onion and garlic didn't come out too bad. This cut is definitely lean so I have to come up with a go to recipe for it. Thanks for the input.

I keep threatening to do this.

I usually make Deer jerky (which is quite good ;) ) but beef jerky has intrigued me...especially at the prices they charge.

Eye round will go on sale at Harris Teeter every so often. When it (just...that day) goes out of date it's half price, which makes the experiment doable.

Problem is folks know this...

They mark things down at 7:00 and you better be there then.

Also the cryovac stuff goes out of date but it goes to the back, gets broken down and repackaged with a new date and put back out.

Bastards...

Jerky huh? Hmmmm..... I would assume to cut across grain into slices and wet marinade. Then into oven at say 225F for ???? Bear with me I've never made jerky and of course do not have a dehydrator. But making jerky has me intrigued.

Better if you cut with the grain (freeze slightly, it's easier).

Mostly dry seasonings unless you live alone or really like cleaning your oven...even so wipe the bottom out after you're done or you'll smoke yourself out when you cook something else.

There's a couple of threads here in the foodeh.

Into the oven overnight as low as it will go (mine goes down to 170) with the door cracked slightly (I use a folded oven mitt) so that the humidity can escape.

You're drying it, not cooking it.

Just lay it on the racks flat, touching is fine as it will shrink. No need to hang vertically with toothpicks or any such stuff.

^ Pretty much what I do :th:, except...........

I will moisten it slightly with either what's this here sauce or teriyaki sauce (depending on what flavor I am looking for), and then sprinkle on a dry rub (type again depends on my whim that day, pepper flake, onion powder, garlic powder, a bit of salt and black pepper, etc are all good, cumin would be another option.)

Sometimes I lay the slices in a single layer on a rack above a roasting pan, sometimes I put it directly on a baking sheet or pyrex tray. (The second method requires flipping the strips over after a few hours.)

As low as my oven will go, as was said, about 170 or so, and let it go until it is dried out. I don't need to crack the door, as my oven is self cleaning and as such has a vent under the right rear range burner where the catalyst sits that allows the humidity to escape. I can do it in about 6-8 hours or so, but that is rushing it slightly. 10 - 12 is better.

Wow, 10-12 hrs? That's a whole lotta attention! Looks like I'm gonna have to focus.... But looks like you guys came through again with a great idea as to what to do with this round steak. I'm gonna go for it and will report back hopefully this doesn't go bad....:)

Again thanks guys for the input!