Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mechfist

Minnow Swimmer ShootOut!!!

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

they all have their time and place. less not forget Redfins, Salvage Gear. Chalk bait also makes a 2.7oz minnow. love it when I want a bigger profile. plus it has a weight transfer system.

If I was only allowed to fish a single plug, it would be a 5 1/2" Redfin.

My experience has been that, other than Bombers and Redfins, nearly all of this style of lures have been popular for a period of time, then faded. I still like most of them, and fish them pretty much interchangeably. I tried SP's but traded them pretty quickly because they didn't fit my conditions. Nothing bad to say about them, they just weren't for me.

Nowadays, I buy used Bombers on the bst and get a couple of off brands for 3-4 bucks at the big boxes. Cordell has a series of Yo-Zuri knockoffs for $3 each that catch as well as the originals.

Red fin! daiwa coming in a close second. Red fins are cheaper and more versatile. Buy the 8 dollar plug, load it or keep it unloaded. Throw some new split rings and VMC hooks on it, and you got yourself a lure that will catch bass and blues (and sometimes fluke) from 1-60lbs. Cons- Bad casting distance when unloaded and they are not through wired. Once youve landed a ton of fish on a red fin, especially in rocky areas its time to hang it up. I know many 50's have been landed on them but they will break and I've seen it happen more than once.

Based on history

redfin - 7"

bomber

sp

Based on recent success

redfin - 7"

sp (just about a dead heat between the redfin and sp for me)

bomber

Overall, its hard to beat the redfin due to its cost, colors and loading ability. The sp is too new to the scene to be the best in my eyes. It does a lot of things well but I can get more out of a redfin still. If I was allowed only one lure a redfin in either black or scratch would probably be it.

If I had to use only one plug, it would be a BLACK Bomber B-16A

Personally, I have caught MANY more fish with this, than the Redfin.

(Possibly because I fish with it far more often?)

they all have their time and place. less not forget Redfins, Salvage Gear. Chalk bait also makes a 2.7oz minnow. love it when I want a bigger profile. plus it has a weight transfer system.
howz about the Rapala X-Rap??

howz about the Rapala X-Rap??

That's a great plug! There are quite a few sizes. There are times when that plug will catch when others simply do not.

It really digs and the larger one piece plug casts like a rocket. Just be sure to replace the original hooks----they suck!!!!

The x-rap dives pretty deep and then it floats upwards very fast. The fish love it.

I'm a great fan of the larger size jointed bomber ----have caught more fish with a black bomber on dark nights than I can count.

The Sp minnow has been very effective in Montauk for me. It performs very well over shallow rocky areas. It's that distinctive silhouette , I think that makes all the difference.

They are all great plugs.

Hey Mofish, I tried looking for Chalk bait and couldn't find it. Big box or local?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechfist View Post

Hey Mofish, I tried looking for Chalk bait and couldn't find it. Big box or local?

Think he might have meant CharkBait. It's the Toro Tamer subsurface swimmer.

I have also caught lot more fish on a 16A than the Redfin because I cast them much more often, but I have had too many occasions where the Redfin pulled that single fish to beat the skunk.