Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CBass123

Bare Essentials for a Rookie

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm a freshwater fisherman in PA, but I'm looking to make the leap, and start chasing some stripers in the surf.  What do you think are the bare essentials I need to get started?  I don't want to spend to much cash, because I will only have the chance to get down there a couple times a year.  Would a 7' MH action rod work, or do I need to pony up for a surf rod? Anything else I shouldn't go without? Any suggestions will help.  Thanks.

minimum i would use is an 8' 6" and i did it for years when I first started out with a st. croix ben doerr rod (that is for plugs, can fish bait with it but not ideal)

you are better off getting something of quality used here off the bst from a trusted member than some crap new rod imo

where are you fishing, sandy beach, any jetty? etc.

bait, plugs?

I fish freshwater in PA. So I assume you know where / when to use a 4lb ultralight, 6lb plugging, 10lb carp /musky rod. Same applies in the salt. Toad is trying to find out what you expect to do, and try to reccomend a setup to cover a few conditions. It's the same as plaing Golf. I don't Golf. But you've probably seen what they carry in those bags.

CBass - A stout set of pliers with cutters. You'll need to remove treble hooks from the mouth of your fish. Cutters will help if, heaven forbid, you should ever get stuck with that hook. No need to go top shelf brands, but it would be wise to make sure the cutters can snip the hooks you use.

Headlamp - Having one with red light option is very helpful.

If bait fishing:

10-12ft. used Ugly Stik rated for up to 8oz, a used Penn 704 or 750SS reel, 50lb braid and 50-50lb leader, Hi-lo and fishfinder rigs (do some research on here and youtube and tie your own), 4-8oz pyramid sinkers, 4-8oz Sputnik sinkers, a knife to cut bait, a clam shucking tool, a waterproof headlamp/flashlight, a soft cooler for bait storage.

If using lures:

Any used 9-10ft rod rated from 3/4 to at least 3oz, a used Penn 704, 650SS, 550SS, Battle 4000 or 5000 or Spinfisher 4500 or 5500, 30lb Braid, 40-50lb leader, barrel swivels, 1/2 to 2oz white bucktails, SP minnows in bone, yellow and black/plurple, Bombers in the same colors, Pencil poppers, Kastmasters, Ava jigs, T-Hex (instead of Avas if you want to buy local and American), plastic swim shads, 1/2 to 2oz jigs and Pink Zoom flukes. Learn how to tie a teaser rig. Watch all of John Skinner's youtube videos.

Also learn to lie about what and where you are catching ;) and if someone tells you of a good fishing spot or where they happen to be biting don't go telling everyone else. Don't be afraid of the dark. If you plan on fishing on a jetty for gods sake where Korkers or studded wading boots.

If bait fishing:

10-12ft. used Ugly Stik rated for up to 8oz, a used Penn 704 or 750SS reel, 50lb braid and 50-50lb leader, Hi-lo and fishfinder rigs (do some research on here and youtube and tie your own), 4-8oz pyramid sinkers, 4-8oz Sputnik sinkers, a knife to cut bait, a clam shucking tool, a waterproof headlamp/flashlight, a soft cooler for bait storage.

If using lures:

Any used 9-10ft rod rated from 3/4 to at least 3oz, a used Penn 704, 650SS, 550SS, Battle 4000 or 5000 or Spinfisher 4500 or 5500, 30lb Braid, 40-50lb leader, barrel swivels, 1/2 to 2oz white bucktails, SP minnows in bone, yellow and black/plurple, Bombers in the same colors, Pencil poppers, Kastmasters, Ava jigs, T-Hex (instead of Avas if you want to buy local and American), plastic swim shads, 1/2 to 2oz jigs and Pink Zoom flukes. Learn how to tie a teaser rig. Watch all of John Skinner's youtube videos.

Also learn to lie about what and where you are catching ;) and if someone tells you of a good fishing spot or where they happen to be biting don't go telling everyone else. Don't be afraid of the dark. If you plan on fishing on a jetty for gods sake where Korkers or studded wading boots.

Excellent post, exactly what I was looking for a little over a year ago. Then it is a matter of taking the time to me to learn everything.

Bare essentials , a 9ft today rated 1-4 oz. I'd get some bombers and sps,diamond jigs and pencil poppers. That can cover your basic needs. If your fishing a jetty you HAVE to wear korkers or your asking for a trip to The er. If you think your mainly going to fish bait go with the ugly stick someone recommended

OH YEAH !!!..... Also;..... Remember to fish there yesterday !