Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish'nmagician

I ran

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

start slow

finish fast

for conditioning runs, add fartleks; intervals; hill work; long and slow and short and fast.

NEVER follow a hard day with another hard day.

Take time off to heal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP View Post

start slow

finish fast

for conditioning runs, add fartleks; intervals; hill work; long and slow and short and fast.

NEVER follow a hard day with another hard day.

Take time off to heal.

yup

I didn't INTEND to start as fast as I did,

it just happened.

I usually jog with my wife, and she runs at about 11:00 per mile,

so I struggled finding a stride I was comfortable with that worked for me.

It's good stuff. Like interval training, you can either do it by time or distance. Basically a Fartlek is when you go out for a run and you get good and warmed up with your normal pace. Then at a certain point (I use time), I increase both my stride and pace for a certain period of time. For instance, I will run for 10 minutes at my normal pace. I will then start doing increments of either 30, 45 or 60 seconds of increased pace and stride (not uncomfortable though). I will then back off back to normal pace for a minute or so...a few minutes if I am out of shape, and do it again. Just keep doing this for the length of your run and don't forget to do a slow down at the end. so you may end up doing a bunch of fartleks during your run. It will condition your CV system to a higher overall exertion level.

If your serious about this - get the book: Cardio training for the compleat (English spelling) idiot and follow that. You can get the book off amazon for a few bucks but you also need to get a heart-rate monitor. you will be amazed at how fast you progress as you will be working your CV system off of actual numbers, not just the way you "feel". You'll know exactly how hard to run on your hard days and how slow you need to run on your easy days. Until I did this I almost ALWAYS overtrained on my slow days and mostly overtrained on my hard days.

Watching your actual heartrate will prevent you from going over your threshold for the day's training. It will also ensure you know just how hard you need to run to get your heartrate to your training zone for that day. inserting adequate "easy" days within your training schedule will ensure you heal up and progress without hurting yourself. Your Cardio will come about much faster than goin on perceptions alone.

Google up Interval training as well. Also - look up Tabata Intervals. I LOVE Tabata intervals as somedays I really don't feel like running. I can get a really good training session in about 10 minutes with tabat'as. As a military diver, we learned a LOT of science to get your cardio up to snuff quickly. This stuff works.

my game plan will most likely be to buy nothing,

and put it all on my Christmas list,

do you have a heart monitor, or some sort of monitoring device?

do you recommend one?

is there an interface with apple products?

I use a Polar (don't remember the model, they make a bunch, I think mine was like $80), and it's worked great for me. There's a program online you can dump the data into to record your progress. They really do help keep you from over or under training. Whichever one you get, make sure it has a chest strap. They are much more accurate IMO.