Daiwa SP Minnow vs Bomber Long A

Rate this topic

ASrod

Ill take the Bomber every day over the SP, the SP is the most overhyped lure in the history of fishing.

I wouldn't say that at all. It's a damn good lure. It's also another tool in the box too, not an all around fish catcher.

People cast it, see the distance they get and think WOW, like distance is the be all end all criteria for success in the surf. It's not.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I wouldn't say that at all. It's a damn good lure. It's also another tool in the box too, not an all around fish catcher.

People cast it, see the distance they get and think WOW, like distance is the be all end all criteria for success in the surf. It's not.

That and the fish they land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellNJ View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogey View Post

I have never understood this confidence thing, is it once you catch with a lure you will use it more often but if you don't catch you won't use it? I have always tried to "match the hatch" with profile, size and color if that doesn't work I'll throw something outlandish or a Bucktail and hope for a reaction. Maybe that's why I'm high on the skunked list.

For me, confidence is knowing that you're working a plug properly and using it in the conditions it is most effective. It's casting and actually believing that you will catch a fish. Not having confidence is hucking something out in the hopes that some fish might take a swipe at it. You will sit there second guessing your selection and be swapping plugs constantly every five casts.

That being said, I've never caught a thing with an SP though I own many and throw them often. It's not a plug I look at and say "today I'm catching a fish" before throwing...yet.

I haven't caught a bass on an SP either. I have 1. haven't felt the need to get any more.. too many hooks for me. im not a tinkerer and why bother with trebles at all when I can catch the same fish on a BT or a leadhead with rubber...

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

They do different things! Shallow water bass destroy bombers, If you don't need distance and have some current or not bombers are deadly. Bigger water, wind, or covering more distance SP all the way. Bone day and night will out fish any color, I always carry one w silver sides if there is light around to reflect.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

I own both and use them equally every time I go Striper fishing, I have limited out when using the Bomber but have never caught a fish with the SP minnow. I have read nothing but good about the SP minnow, could this be user error?

The SP minnow is silver flash, and the Bomber is Chicken Scratch.

For my own part, I kinda like the Bombers (I use the wonderbread/pearl) at night when I'm retrieving at a less than crawl speed while I like the SP when I can retrieve with any semblance of speed (not even fast - just faster than the near stationary retrieve I employ while using bombers)...But I like both due to the success I've had with those two scenarios

apples and oranges really. For me an SP imitates a slimmer, sand-eel type profile. The bomber imitates a larger baitfish. Even though they are similar in size they do different things for me. I will admit that the weight transfer system in the SP makes it a superior caster. Now bomber has come out with their "long shot" model to compete but I haven't heard that much good feedback on it. Time will tell....

IMO if you are spending a whole lot of time debating between bomber and SP or really any lures then you aren't understanding how all the factors should influence what to throw. Experiement and match the hatch. Plastic swimmers are versatile but there is still a different time and place where most will excel. 

apples and oranges really. For me an SP imitates a slimmer, sand-eel type profile. The bomber imitates a larger baitfish. Even though they are similar in size they do different things for me. I will admit that the weight transfer system in the SP makes it a superior caster. Now bomber has come out with their "long shot" model to compete but I haven't heard that much good feedback on it. Time will tell....

IMO if you are spending a whole lot of time debating between bomber and SP or really any lures then you aren't understanding how all the factors should influence what to throw. Experiement and match the hatch. Plastic swimmers are versatile but there is still a different time and place where most will excel. 

That's the key thing. Guys throw a sp, watch it fly, see the distance and think its the greatest. Then they throw a bomber which doesn't cast as well and automatically rule it out as 'sucking'. Then, they don't fish it, they never learn to use it (or anything else). They rely on one lure because it 'casts far' and that's it. So when conditions change and something else is favored they aren't successful.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

They both have a different action…… The Bomber is a deadly plug and catches bass and is the best damn plug to do it…. Casts like **** though…….. The SP minnow is now in my lineup… I've caught tons of bass on that plug also…. Being that it outcasts the bomber it's my go to now… But when conditions permit, I throw the bomber and catch…..

They both have a different action…… The Bomber is a deadly plug and catches bass and is the best damn plug to do it…. Casts like **** though…….. The SP minnow is now in my lineup… I've caught tons of bass on that plug also…. Being that it outcasts the bomber it's my go to now… But when conditions permit, I throw the bomber and catch…..

Completely different actions - I like the little 'v wake' the bomber makes on a very slow retrieve, along with the wiggle action it has even when stationary (if there's a current), especially at night...I really don't use them in the day. I like the SP because it digs down and dives a few feet or so below the surface on a fairly steady retrieve. I like it better if I'm fishing after sunrise (but also find it'll work, but not as effectively as a bomber' at night)

Completely different actions - I like the little 'v wake' the bomber makes on a very slow retrieve, along with the wiggle action it has even when stationary (if there's a current), especially at night...I really don't use them in the day. I like the SP because it digs down and dives a few feet or so below the surface on a fairly steady retrieve. I like it better if I'm fishing after sunrise (but also find it'll work, but not as effectively as a bomber' at night)

I find that the SP minnow is super productive at night…. The bass jump all over it if they are there… Regardless of the forage they're feeding on, They'll eat the SP all night… :)