ASrod

Daiwa SP Minnow vs Bomber Long A

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I own both and use them equally every time I go Striper fishing, I have limited out when using the Bomber but have never caught a fish with the SP minnow. I have read nothing but good about the SP minnow, could this be user error?

The SP minnow is silver flash, and the Bomber is Chicken Scratch.

I tried the 17A.  Casts like poop.  Never use it.  SP all the way for me.

Same here. Have only used my Bombers with the wind on my back. I need to load them this winter. SP works well. Get a burple for night and bone for day. SP dives deeper than bomber so maybe slow your retrieve.

People that have issues with a bomber Either casting or fishing them seriously need to consider their fishing skill set. The bomber has probably caught more bass than almost any other lure. I'm no saying it's the best, not saying it's perfect in all conditions just that if someone is not having success wth it then it is user error, not the lure.

Both are fish catching machines....as with any lure u need to catch a fish on it to have confidence in it.

I have never understood this confidence thing, is it once you catch with a lure you will use it more often but if you don't catch you won't use it? I have always tried to "match the hatch" with profile, size and color if that doesn't work I'll throw something outlandish or a Bucktail and hope for a reaction. Maybe that's why I'm high on the skunked list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Striper46 View Post

Both are fish catching machines....as with any lure u need to catch a fish on it to have confidence in it.

+1.  love both, but lately I've been reaching for the SP more.  bone color almost all the time.

I have never understood this confidence thing, is it once you catch with a lure you will use it more often but if you don't catch you won't use it? I have always tried to "match the hatch" with profile, size and color if that doesn't work I'll throw something outlandish or a Bucktail and hope for a reaction. Maybe that's why I'm high on the skunked list.

U hit the nail on the head. Funny thing I've always done was not match the hatch, I feel it sets you apart from the rest of the pray and more noticeable.

Both lures(the bomber and the SP minnow are deadly) but try experimenting under different conditions.

With the larger jointed bombe,r I like it better when the water is high. I find that I can feel it vibrate and pull in deeper water, more so than I feel the SP. In shallower water I favor the SP. While I don't feel the contact with it so much----the fish absolutely love it with a slow retrieve.

I find with the SP a slow retrieve --a twitch- a pause and then a slow retrieve again, seems to catch fish and get strikes.

The SP is lethal over rocky terrain.

The bomber casts pretty well for me, especially with a wind at my back. It is designed to be a jerk bait---so pause and twitch, generates

hits. With the bomber in fast moving wild water--sometimes the back hook seems to be above the water a slight bit.

It just makes the bomber look like an injured or confused bait fish. In rough water try the larger one piece bomber--both hooks will stay put in the water and the lure weighs a bit more than the 2 piece does ,so it casts maybe a little longer.

Some of the best fish that I have ever had were on a black bomber on a new moon. It's a great plug.

I use #125 TA clips and I don't see any change in action. 

TA clips now have a size between 125 and 50. I've been using those on smaller plugs like SP and MagDarters that have lips or concave faces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogey View Post

For me, confidence is knowing that you're working a plug properly and using it in the conditions it is most effective. It's casting and actually believing that you will catch a fish. Not having confidence is hucking something out in the hopes that some fish might take a swipe at it. You will sit there second guessing your selection and be swapping plugs constantly every five casts.

That being said, I've never caught a thing with an SP though I own many and throw them often. It's not a plug I look at and say "today I'm catching a fish" before throwing...yet.