Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slack Tidings

Reglazing a double pane window?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever done this? Our new place has a circa 1990's large circular double pane window with a wood sash and I've started to notice some condensation intrusion.....I'm thinking replacing that thing is big $........Has anyone ever reglazed or had a double pane reglazed? crazy talk?

It depends on the manufacturer - a lot of the insulated units for home use are glued in and are not meant to be reglazed by removing the stops and slapping another insulated unit - but rather the assembly replaced. If the seal on an insulated unit deteriorates, moisture will eventually seep into the glass envelope and condense on the glass. Quality-brand windows are usually under warranty against seal failure. If a condensation problem develops, the manufacturer should provide a free replacement

I have a very fine scar on my wrist from cutting out an insulated window from an Anderson sash that just wasn't made to be reglazed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogface View Post

It depends on the manufacturer - a lot of the insulated units for home use are glued in and are not meant to be reglazed by removing the stops and slapping another insulated unit - but rather the assembly replaced. If the seal on an insulated unit deteriorates, moisture will eventually seep into the glass envelope and condense on the glass. Quality-brand windows are usually under warranty against seal failure. If a condensation problem develops, the manufacturer should provide a free replacement

I have a very fine scar on my wrist from cutting out an insulated window from an Anderson sash that just wasn't made to be reglazed.

ouch, I'll email the manufacturer.....being 20 years old I wonder what the odds are they'd repair/replace this thing but definitely worth a shot. thanks seadog.

It depends on the manufacturer - a lot of the insulated units for home use are glued in and are not meant to be reglazed by removing the stops and slapping another insulated unit - but rather the assembly replaced. If the seal on an insulated unit deteriorates, moisture will eventually seep into the glass envelope and condense on the glass. Quality-brand windows are usually under warranty against seal failure. If a condensation problem develops, the manufacturer should provide a free replacement ...

exactly

:v: