Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnycakes

Does anyone remember when fishing was fun?

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

"Anyone can catchem that way" "sure if I had a job like that" 'He doesn't fish hard" "he cheats" Why would you need that for what your doing?" And the hits just keep on coming.

Maybe it's just me but was't this something we did for fun?

"Anyone can catchem that way" "sure if I had a job like that" 'He doesn't fish hard" "he cheats" Why would you need that for what your doing?" And the hits just keep on coming.

it is still fun. let the trollers troll. the haters hate. i know i still have a good time and cant wait to get back on the beach.

I've watched some really good casters over the years who fish like a machine, never smile, get pissed off at people. I always thought they were missing out on the true experience. Even when I'm not catching I have a blast because I know I won't be able to do this forever.

I still have fun even though I fish alone 90% of the time which in turn means there's not one laugh had not one moment of catching or not catching fish shared with anyone , no ball busting... all internal conversations which drive me insane..

I still have fun because I don't care what others do or what they catch. I have my own way of fishing, and when others tell me of their better techniques, I simply thank them and ignore them. I enter no competitions. If a friend does better than I do, great. If I do better than they, great. When something like fishing gets to be more stress than fun, it's time for a change.

It's still fun even when it's sucks :confused:

I try to explain to my wife how when I go fishing the feeling is kinda like that last day of school, and you have the whole summer ahead of you and not a worry in the world. :) :) :)

It's still that way, I will go fishing and think I have been out there for 5 -6 hours and it's barely been 2.

It's all a matter of perspective, just did a trip to block caught 1 bass, couldn't buy an Albee when others were catching , yeah it sucked for like 2 seconds

But the 10,000,000 seconds I wasn't at work was magical

Perspective ;)

fishing is fun.

talking about it on the internet is a drag.

talking about it with morons WHILE fishing is a drag

but the act of fishing is fun. if its not then you should take up golf or fish by yourself.

if you dont have fun fishing by yourself then you should by a boat and invite people whose company you enjoy

Stay off the net and go fishing. There are many many negative people who are never happy with anything they do in life and like to rain on everyone's parade. They are not happy and they don't want you happy.

I have fun when I fish.

For some people, fishing is more than a hobby, or just fun, or a hunt for meat.

For some, it is therapy, a way to clear the mind, an escape from the daily stress, it's being outside so you can take a look inside.

For one guy - it is this:

There is a place in Old Saybrook, CT, on the town's western shoreline that I have been fishing for about 15 years. Although at this place fishing is good in several spots, there is one very special rock that has brought me great luck.

Surf fishing is a very special thing. On that rock about ten years ago, I would catch lots of fish...big fish...but more importantly, on that rock is where dreams were developed. Dreams of a family, kids, a house, a dog...I would stand perched on that rock and throw my dreams up to the heavens.

The rock is at the end of a jetty that is under water up until low tide. My friends call it Kulik Jetty after me because I could be found there so often.

Today, I want to dedicate that rock to my son Ryan. From here on in it will be called Ryan's Rock. Ryan's Rock is a flat stable rock that has two large, round boulders behind it; and two other smaller boulders behind it as well. The two big boulders represent Ryan's parents, the two smaller ones, his sisters. These boulders protect you should you catch a wave.

Surf fishing folklore has it that if you stand on Ryan's Rock and look south to the heavens and say a prayer for Ryan, you catch more fish. If you see a falling star, more the better, you don't even need to make a wish...good luck will surely come your way.

My eleven-month-old son, Ryan, has been in Intensive Care now for three days. And I am scared. The tide is going out and the water is getting shallow. The sun has come up and the fish have moved on to deeper water. And I am scared...and sad...and frightened.

Tomorrow the currents will be strong. A storm is on the horizon and the seas will be choppy. But I can still fish, and will always be protected, and can always dream, on Ryan's Rock.

(Note: Ryan passed away from a rare cellular disorder the day after this was written.)

Gary Kulik

August 6, 1999