Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LBIJeeper

Advice for new Nissan owner in New Jersey

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

My wife and I fish at least every other week in LBI, NJ. We have a 2003 Wrangler with buggy pass, 6cyl 5spd, but between our attempts to haul 2 dogs, 2 yaks, 4 rods a guitar with clothes, we figured we need a bigger 4x4.

So we found an '06 Pathfinder LE with every option available, only 50k miles and we want to take it on the beach. My question:

Why are Jeeps considered so far superior to SUVS like the Pathfinder when it comes to sand? And what do I need to do different when driving the Nissan? The few detractors I've read complain about ground clearance with the Pathfinder. Here's the specs comparing my 03 wrangler with the 06 Pathfinder:

The clearance listed on my Pathfinder is 8.5" with 31.6" tires 270 hp/290 torque and 7000 lb towing, while our Wrangler clearance is 8.3" with 31" tires 190 hp/230 torque and 2000 lb towing. Where the Pathfinder seemingly loses is it weighs 1450 lbs more (about 25% heavier) and has a longer wheel base and shorter approach angle. Bottom line, we will start really slow on streets we know to be very compact. But with these numbers, why are the Pathfinders considered less than ideal for the sand?

Thanks,

Matt

So we found an '06 Pathfinder LE with every option available, only 50k miles and we want to take it on the beach. My question:

Why are Jeeps considered so far superior to SUVS like the Pathfinder when it comes to sand?

Thanks,

Matt

Only jeep guys think they ae better, air down and go fish. Had a jeep never a pathfinder but you made a good choice.

the older,, 2000 or so, Cherokee Sport cannot be beat period. Especially if you got the 4.0 engine. Today i drive a 2012 Grand Cherokee and I have had no problems even in soft powder sand with standard all weather tires. Some of today's other makes are comparable but the older Jeep reputations are undisputable. The main key is to air down.

The pathfinder you have will do fine on the beach. air down, and don't be dumb. I had an xterra which is very similar and it was good on the beach. I have seen just as many people stuck in the sand in jeeps as I have any other vehicle. the driver is just as or more of a factor then the truck. and tires are just as important as anything else on or in the truck.

Jeeps are easier, and much less expensive to modify. so there are more of them modified for off road. this could be part of the stereotype of them be better.

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear this feedback, when I googled "Pathfinder beach buggy" I saw just as many bad reviews as good and started to wonder if I didn't do my due diligence prior to buying the PF. I always air down aggressively (the only time I ever got stuck was when I was only 20 psi, so i go to 12 now). I'll avoid the really soft deep stuff until I know how she handles it.

Here is a perfect example taken this week on Long Island. A new Audi with quad drive gets stuck. A Jeep with knobby tires comes to his aid and also gets buried trying to help. One car is a definate no-no for the beach and one is reputed to be the king.

Both have the same problem. THE DRIVER. They did not AIR DOWN.

There's a whole thread on here about the Nissan Frontiere, mostly our love affair with it :D

You'll be fine. For the record I go down to 15psi and do great on these beaches.

I can only speak for the Xterra but it was incredible on the beach. Had no isuues with it other than the norm. And it had an appetite for window regulators... Even in stock form it was great before I started modding it.

Heck my buddy has the newest version of the Pathfinder and has only ever had one issue getting bogged down and that thing looks like a swollen minivan and is primarily FWD. Granted Brig is easier driving than IBSP. Even my wifes Expedition is fine and I only take the tires on that heavy thing down to 18psi...

I had a wrangler, best beach vehicle. Now I drive grand Cherokee, just air down to 15 or 16 and no problem. I drive on IBSP, just take your time and make wide turns.

What year GC?

I guess I should have known that from your screen name. How do you like your GC? I have driven a Jeep for many years. My only hold back on a new GC is, it won't fit in my garage. With my bench at the front end my '06 GC is only a few inches inside the overhead door. The '14 GC is about 13" longer if my comparison is correct.