Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Top ten inlet lures

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Bucktail

Swim Shad

Yup... yup. That's exactly what I was using today at a local breachway.

I also use metal lips that swim 3-4' deep and Mirrolure 103mr. and 85m. And 9" sluggos on eel bob rigs or ball jigs or wobble head.

Plug wise I've done best with...candidly most on that list I don't use right in the inlet but at the mouth. :)

Bomber 17A's

SS Bottles

SS Zig Zag's

Danny's

Loaded Bone Redfin's

Mag Darter

LS69 Dahta's (7")

BM 3oz Darters

NB Bottle Darters (plastic)

NB Wooden Bottles

Poppers

Depends on what inlet your talking about... I'd say if your trying to get down a little in the current a 5/8 oz jig head with a tail is the way to go... If your trying to stay up then I would go along the Redfin sp minnow route.

What inlet?

There are a lot of different inlet scenario's but generally if I'm on a jetty flanking an inlet. I'd feel very confident and comfortable carrying white 10 jigs in 5 sizes (2 each) and a bottle of #50 and #70 rind. That might seem overly simplistic but you would be hard pressed to need more. If I had to have a plug or two I would take a pair of Atom 40's if it's late in the season.

Also Hopkins,Kastmasters and SS and Gibbs DartersYears ago the the Atom Striper Swiper Popper.The fish out grew it and wont hit it anymore.Just joking.

Depends on what inlet your talking about... I'd say if your trying to get down a little in the current a 5/8 oz jig head with a tail is the way to go... If your trying to stay up then I would go along the Redfin sp minnow route.

What inlet?

really any inlet with deep, fast moving current

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123456 View Post

really any inlet with deep, fast moving current

...no spot burn, that sucks.  

Nah all kidding aside I cant say enough about the Ron Z tails. They mimic several different types of bait and can be dragged through the current in alot of different ways. Unfortunately I switched to throwing eels in alot of the situations I had normally tossed 3/8 -1 oz Ron Z only because I was hung up on using my 11' rod. It cut down on my overall success though produced a few memorable stripers, next year Ill be buying a 9' rod more suited to the light weight jigs and swimming plugs that can produce the big bass

I just watched one of John Skinner's videos on inlet fishing and he pretty much said he brings bucktails with trailers (and I assume teasers but maybe not) and Tsunami swim shads and not much if anything else.

I just watched one of John Skinner's videos on inlet fishing and he pretty much said he brings bucktails with trailers (and I assume teasers but maybe not) and Tsunami swim shads and not much if anything else.

Trailers for the bucktails; not teasers.

90% of the fish I've caught in inlets in the last 25 years have been on bucktails (1.5 oz. to 4oz. depending on current with 70S porkrind trailer) or weighted shads (7" Tsunami, 9" Tsunami, 6" Heavy Tsunami)