Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dealing with bow in the line

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Was wondering same before and searched all over for an answer.

many ways to lessen that arc on a cross wind but as staying in contact with lure there wasnt much.

Struggling and trying all kind of craps the only way that worked for me is facing the line leaving the rod rather than the lure. The tension of the line pulled by the wind seemed to give me good contact even before picked up any slack in line.

Maybe someone with more experience can give us more or better tips.

I like to think this works, I stick the rod tip into the water and reel up the slack as fast as possible. In most cases I'm throwing a darter so I'll give it one good yank to dig in and then retrieve it a little slower than I usually do. Once you get the line in the water, wind has no effect

Not much you can do but to cast side arm and to crank like crazy to pick up the bow in your line just as the lure is hitting the water. At some places you do have the option of moving to spots out of the wind.

Find ways to use the wind to your advantage. The bow in your line will turn the nose of the plug in a different direction than it normally would be travleing, and make it look like the bait is trying to go one way but slipping another. Sharp hooks will overcome the loss of contact and stick the fish long enough to draw the line tight for the strike.