Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mechfist

MagDarter feedback...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Purchased my first set of MagDarters a few days ago and finally got to test them last night. It was a bit wired for me as the feedback from the lure was very light and I am being generous about that. Can anyone accurately describe the type of feedback one is supposed to feel with a MagDarter?

In quiet water not much. In moving water you will feel a bit more. This is all on a steady retrieve. I think they are close to the feel of a mambo minnow on a slower retrieve. I always thought out of all the minnow swimmers they had the least resistance to them. The Mag Darter is not going to thump or strum like a metal lip by any means. I have played with these (the old ones) for a number of years. I like 2/0 vmc 4 x if I'm fishing bigger moving water. Quieter areas I stick to the 1/0 vmc 4x. I toss the 3/0 2x vmc's they used to come with. I like 20-30 lb braid and my leaders at 30lb or 40lb and I still like the 54 duolock.

I agree - "darter" is a bit of a misnomer for this plug as it's action is more like a plastic swimmer. There is definitely something about this plug (the old ones anyway) that fish can't resist - it's one of the few plugs I've found that will catch during a spearing bite when the fish often refuse anything else you throw at them. A slow retrieve with intermittent short/sharp pulls works for me.

Good lure... Calm water it doesn't give much feedback as others have mentioned... But hang it in a rip or get it out into the break back through some white water with the waves pulling back and pushing forward and it gives plenty of throb into the rod... Remember they have no lip so water going over the plug will make it dart n wiggle... In calm water you can make it happen.. in the rougher stuff it does all the work for you...

my .02

ErikT

My biggest bass I landed on a ghost magdarter was 25lbs., 10:30PM on a mild current on the Northshore. I've used them in rough water and caught some schoolies but I prefer to use them in backbays, great lure nonetheless...

ive caught bass to about 15lbs on them and blues from cocktails to about ten lbs a couple of times nothing was happening and I put one on and started catching. had mine for quite a few years so don't know if there new ones or old. is there a new model?

Had few since beginning of the year since I read so many good things about it.

Only started using more recently after a big blue in the middle of the night. Dunno what it is, since then it is working as a schoolie magnet.

Experimented with all kinds of retrieves. A big sweep of rod that made sure I felt it working extra hard and slow pick up of slack worked best, at least for me.

Fish magnet at my favorite spot to fish!! - :love:

If I cannot get at least one fish on a Mag in Bronze, then they're not there or not feeding. :)