Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaprunner

Looking for advice on my next purchase....

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Looking to try conventional and what you guys think that are still using and loving conventional. I fish NJ waters mostly currently my bait and wait rig is a 11'4 xh Tsunami Airwave Elite and a Battle 7000 rated 4-8 lure. I know Im tossing more than that and has seemed to hold up just fine w/ chunks and a 6oz sputnik. For a starter Id be looking in the 350-$400 range for the combo. Any help would be great! Thx

I like my Ocean Master 12 6-12 oz. There are a host of heaver out there St Croix, Tica, Tsunami, several options from Penn. They are all worth a look IMO. I love the OM but truthfully at $170 retail there is a lot of competition. Penn's Prevail is $100 for example. On the business end I still think the Ambassador 7000 c3 is hard to beat and a breeze to cast. Holds enough line of just about any size you can think of and it's not crazy expensive. I blast mine with the garden hose after each outing, oil the line guide 3 times a year and tear it down to clean it once a year. Never replaced a part yet. If you want to burn up your budgeted money, I'd add a nice Baitrunner for your spinning rod and now you have two nice setups for chunking. I'm not a big fan of a regular spinner for bait fishing with chunks.

I like the OM 12ft 6oz-12oz as well. It is a nice rod with plenty of backbone to cast 8&Bait and land the big one, but it still has the sensitivity to feel good when fighting a fish. It has quality guides and a quality reel seat. The furreled split is very close to a 50/50. I like the fact that the Fuji guides have large diameters which helps the shockleader knot travel through the guides much smoother.

I have only had mine for 3 months, but the experiance has me enjoying using the rod everytime I go out.

I have it paired up with a Penn Fathom 15.