Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jawjackn

Mitchell 302 problem

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone I dissembled my 302 I got off the big auction site, I ended up with this little bronze piece of metal I haven't seen before, I have no clue where it goes and without it the reel locks up almost instantly , any help is greatly appreciated1000

Thanks Mitchell master, problem solved, one more question, is this the reason the reel would lock up after reassembly? I had another parts reel and when I grabbed it, or kicked up after about 1/4 turn off the handle and had 1 shim in place, so I took that shim out and put two on the reel mentioned above, now it seems fine, any suggestions? Thanks again.

I've seen them without any, with 2, and with 1. I guess you have to keep assembling the reel to get it right.

I've had reels that had them and assembled them without them and they worked fine.

I am definitely not a Mitchell expert but those are all we had when I was in my teens. I'm 60 now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawjackn View Post

Thanks Mitchell master, problem solved, one more question, is this the reason the reel would lock up after reassembly? I had another parts reel and when I grabbed it, or kicked up after about 1/4 turn off the handle and had 1 shim in place, so I took that shim out and put two on the reel mentioned above, now it seems fine, any suggestions? Thanks again.

If when you say "locked up" are you talking about when you have tightened down the ritor nut or not? I had this problem occur and it drove me NUTS!!! On the earlier 302s there is a silver ring that has two square notched cutouts 180 degrees apart. behind it you  may or may not find a brass washer with a pair of curved indents 180 degrees apart.  The thin brass washer is a shim that sits right above the ball bearing the indents are aligned to sit UNDER the SET SCREWS, the SILVER RING withe the square notched cut outs  is the BUSHING, the square notched cutouts COVER the set screws facing IN towards the ball bearing.

First I bought the reel on Fleabay and the clown that sold it decided to clean and lube it did a horrible job and put it together WRONG. You will only find the Silver Ring Bushing on the older 302's as most of the newer ones use the 402 style Bushing, and most 302 schematics don'r show the silver ring bushing setup. A lot of trial and error ensued before I figured it out. I later would find an OLD schematic that shows the silver ring bushing and the correct orientation that proved my trial and error correct. If your 302 "locks up" after you have tightened down the rotor nut remove the rotor and check the bushing especially if it has the "silver ring" style bushing.