Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

A Voice of Reason in the GOP

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

Yet they will waste time and money the US doesn't have for years trying.

Even as the GOP looks poised to retake the Senate next week, a repeal of Obamacare remains unlikely, a top Republican senator conceded Wednesday.

During an interview with WPBI radio, Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) said while there may be another repeal vote in Congress, lawmakers should focus on fixes to the health care law that President Barack Obama might actually consider.

"I would imagine there will be a vote on repeal, but I -- let’s be realistic, Barack Obama is still going to be in the White House for another two years, and he is not going to sign that," said Barrasso, who serves as chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee and is one of the most vocal critics of Obamacare. "I want to put things on his desk that he would actually give true consideration to signing, because they’re good for our economy, they’ll get people working again, and they’ll help move the country forward."

Barrasso's comments follow a string of similar statements from other prominent Republicans in Congress, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). Despite being prodded on the subject by Fox News' Neil Cavuto on Tuesday, McConnell said that "no one thinks" repealing the law is feasible with Obama still in office. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) also focused on fixing the existing law in an interview last month, pointing out that it's too late to repeal Obamacare at this point.

Barrasso said he would like to "systematically strip away the very worst parts of Obamacare" and identified some changes he believed would draw support from both sides of the aisle.

"The 30-hour workweek regulations have been harmful to school districts, to teachers, to take-home pay, and there is bipartisan support to removing that," he said. "There is bipartisan support on the employer mandate on health care and to eliminating or delaying those components."

The cost of healthcare has gone up every year for decades. Who's fault is that ?

4/27/12 TatonkaJames:

That's the world I grew up in too. In all the neighborhoods the father worked and the moms took care of the kids. When someone needed help everyone chipped in. That was America. It only cost $75 at the hospital to bring me into the world.

What the heck happened ?

4/27/12 Campbell said this happened:

5/9/10 lichum: As a guest on a Frisco evening talk show, Tom Campbell took some calls.

(Campbell is now running for Barbara Boxer's U.S. Senate seat.)

One of the topics was health care.

A caller said he remembered what it used to be like (1950s-1960s) when his father alone earned enough to pay all the bills and raise a family.

The caller asked Campbell what had changed.

Campbell said something like this: Things changed when health care was expanded to cover more people and the public charity hospital model was done away with.

4/27/12 TatonkaJames:

I like that. Sounds true.

Repealing it would be ideal.

Fixing the law and the 30 hour work week mandate plus the fines to employers that are imposed if their employees take insurance on the exchange would go a long way toward helping our economy.

The insurance affordability mandate is also a direct bottom line impact on economic growth.

Obamacare is an economic anchor to small business.

Its a disaster that Democrats own 100%. Possibly the worst federal legislation of our lifetime.

That's why the Repub is realistic. Obama wouldn't repeal his own law, so two years of trying to would be 2 more years of wasted time from an already do nothing congress, headed by Repubs.

Why do repubs hate their own when they talk sense ?

Yet they will waste time and money the US doesn't have for years trying.

"I want to put things on his desk that he would actually give true consideration to signing, because they’re good for our economy, they’ll get people working again, and they’ll help move the country forward."

If President Obama was interested in any of those things would he have ramrodded ACA thru in the first place?

That's why the Repub is realistic. Obama wouldn't repeal his own law, so two years of trying to would be 2 more years of wasted time from an already do nothing congress, headed by Repubs.

ACA can't be fixed!

If President Obama was interested in any of those things would he have ramrodded ACA thru in the first place?

That's the problem with Democrat policy, you can guarantee that ideology will always trump commonsense.

Congress is split

So then what we have is another uninformed Rep in Washington, right ?

I would like to see his plan.

I mean he has had plenty of time to come up with the fixes that should make ACA workable, right?

Why does he not put those out for debate?

Congress is the senate and the house of reps. Dem majority in senate and repub majority in the house of reps.

Just saying. I think alot of people think Congress is just the house of reps because they are called congressmen and represent congressional districts

Bills can come out of either chamber. It takes two to "do nothing".