Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dbjpb

The old days of kayak fishing:

44 posts in this topic

KFS was the place to be and was the place that I think blew this aspect of fishing to the extreme.

Too many lurkers = all spots blown.

There was a small tight group there that is still together. I keep in contact with a few of them who are a great group of guys. They are all still around and most are as approachable as day #1.

We still post about going out. And still help launch and bring yaks to/from water. Still very friendly to ea o (surf ppl, not so much :)

Due to spot burning rules, the exact locations are discussed via PM nowadays. 

A post like "Hey guys, we're all meeting at X spot to go out for a paddle. who wants in?" is,and has alway been welcome.

We caught all kinds of fish at map coordinate X, or 50 yards off X beach - not so much.

The issue has been that there are LookeeMee's!! in the kayak community (just like in the surf community) who have screwed up a lot of the threads.

A post like "Hey guys, we're all meeting at X spot to go out for a paddle. who wants in?" is,and has alway been welcome.

We caught all kinds of fish at map coordinate X, or 50 yards off X beach - not so much.

The issue has been that there are LookeeMee's!! in the kayak community (just like in the surf community) who have screwed up a lot of the threads.

Those "get together" announcements have caused trouble in the past, because of the big fish report that followed the same evening. Then the next day, loads of guys that live in Toms River are fishing in Keyport.

Those "get together" announcements have caused trouble in the past, because of the big fish report that followed the same evening. Then the next day, loads of guys that live in Toms River are fishing in Keyport.

He's hit the nail on the head all the way from Kentucky!

I started out about 10 years ago with KFS and I can't tell you how many close friends that I have acquired through that site. Things have changed but the friendships will last forever. Tight lines from the kayaks to all !!!

I got involved towards the end of the good ole days in my opinion and I have seen a shift.

Cultures (face it, that is what this is) change for a variety of reasons. These changes can be positive or negative, and are usually influenced by external variables

What's important, atleast in my opinion, is that the core comraderie is still there. The shift has been away from open forum based communication. Frankly, at the rate the sport is growing, its no longer a good idea. With all that said, I have yet to experience any negativity from other yakers. People are still willing to help and share... It just looks different now.

Can you imagine 500 surfcasters camping in a wind blown former airport for three days (jbay)? It would be crazy and not in the good way.

Until the tide shifts to the point where we have the equivalent of "get off my rock", I will be hesitant to say things are in the crapper.

Different yes, but bad? No, I don't think so. The times are a change'n and it would be best to adjust, rather then kiss it all good bye

Different yes, but bad? No, I don't think so. The times are a change'n and it would be best to adjust, rather then kiss it all good bye

another home run. alot of on target responses on this thread !

He's hit the nail on the head all the way from Kentucky!

Human nature is universal... lots of people will chase yesterday's bite. ;)

Before Sunup 11-8-14 ...I went back to the beach after 40 min of watching bigger creatures fish my spot....plenty porpoise too...kinda wished I had company....nobody was available.

The good old days are now....just like before...PM me to check availability

I’ll never forget my first year of kayak fishing and my first experience under the Marine Parkway Bridge(NY). My Cobra kayak wasn’t as nimble as my Hobie but I’ll never forget how intimidated I was after being humbled by a hard 3 knot current. Needless to say I had several trips where I ended up skunked because I just hadn’t figured out how to fish a highly productive area.   I ended up sticking to mostly back bay areas and the Jamaica Bay Marshes. There is nothing wrong with fishing the back either and I enjoy a relaxing trip as much as anyone. In 2012 I spent close to 80% of my season in “hard current” areas.

It was a gradual adjustment that took five years to learn how to really properly approach areas like bridges and jetties while kayak fishing.  As soon as I learned how to fish the bridges, jetties and inlet areas better, my catches soared and surpassed all my expectations. Most importantly I took it easy. Don’t go right out to the middle of the channel if you aren’t ready for it. Gradual steps will bring you there in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShoreThing View Post

Commaraderie is what drew me to kayak fishing in the first place that and catching a lot more fish

sorry to hear thats changing for some

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccandrj View Post

Very hostile thread, I think I will bail, lots of jealous and stupid comments. CYA

You seem to do nothing on here but troll lately, I thought you were leaving?