Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dbjpb

The old days of kayak fishing:

44 posts in this topic

Remember when people used to post where they were going fishing and welcomed company :)

Remember when people posted pictures of their fish and you could see what they caught the fish on :)

Remember when people welcomed a newbie:

Remember when people helped each other launch and land :)

Remember when surf fisherman, and kayak fishermen got along:)

Remember when somebody paddled up next to you and you were glad to share your information with them :)

Remember when we all had a good time fishing in our kayaks and nobody cared if you were paddling, or pedaling :)

Remember when KFS was the web site to go to to meet people and go kayak fishing :)

I saw a couple of kayakers out fishing last night off spring lake.

I also saw a few boats in the area.

I wish I knew when people were launching I would have liked to paddle with some company :)

I guess that is a true sign of getting old when we talk about the good old days?

I hope everyone is having a good fall season. Be safe and good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjpb View Post

Remember when people used to post where they were going fishing and welcomed company smile.gif

Remember when people posted picures of their fish and you could see what they caught the fish on smile.gif

Remember when people welcomed a newbie:

Remember when people helped each other launch and land smile.gif

Remember when surf fisherman, and kayak fishermen got along:)

Remember when somebody paddled up next to you and you were glad to share your information with them smile.gif

Remember when we all had a good time fishing in our kayaks and nobody cared if you were paddling, or pedaling smile.gif

Remember when KFS was the web site to go to to meet people and go kayak fishing smile.gif

I saw a couple of kayakers out fishing last night off spring lake.

I also saw a few boats in the area.

I wish I knew when people were launching I would have liked to paddle with some company smile.gif

I guess that is a true sign of getting old when we talk about the good old days?

I hope everyone is having a good fall season. Be safe and good luck.

Next weekend when the weather is better, come on up to the Rasitan Bay, just another old timer. Plenty of launch sites I know.

Man thats sounds like some good days. When are the good ole days how long have you guys been kayak fishing? I met jon shein and he has been in this for years I just cant beleive I only found out about this 2 years ago. I do remember the KFS seems like it was going downhill at that point so i missed out on that

We still post about going out. And still help launch and bring yaks to/from water. Still very friendly to ea o (surf ppl, not so much :)

Due to spot burning rules, the exact locations are discussed via PM nowadays. 

I have a few core guys I fish with on a regular basis. Here are a few reasons why I don't share too much info...

1. Spotburning - While I am not totally for or against it, it does suck when a launch is packed or a small spot your fishing has full of other kayakers, boats, and if you care close enough to land, dock guys. I am fishing at night this time of year and the areas I fish can become very overcrowded. 

2. Newbies - This is probably the biggest reason I don't share info anymore. I am tired of seeing new guys getting into the sport without the proper equipment. Guys going solo at night in a sit in with no hand pump, life jacket, lights, vhf. Sorry but I feel it is my obligation to keep an eye on you and if something where to happen I would help, but why put yourself in that situation.

3. Egos - Far too many guys feel the need to post a pic of the launch they launched at and caught fish at the bridge they fished. It hurts everyone including the person who posted it. It's very easy to post a pic without giving to much away.

4. Ambulance Chasers - The guys who always want to know where you get the fish but never want to share info. You'd be surprised who they are. Some of them you probably know and are members of this site, I can name 2 off the top of my head who post here on SOL.

5. SOL won't let you report anymore, as do many other sites. I don't mind sharing info, just share it back and don't tell everyone else to pump your ego.

There is plenty more, but that's the main ones.

kayakdannj has it right. The Wolfpack used to post our trips all the time, but then on some of our trips, we got just too successful. One day back in 2006, we had about 16 kayakers at Lot C on Sandy Hook. That's not bad, because we had a great day, and there's ample parking. Some of our venues were not as successful as the sport grew, and parking in some areas became a problem. We were always free with information, tips, spots, lures, but suddenly it got too big, and some folks frowned on us spot burning, so we tightened up, and just don't post trips anymore. It's too bad, because we caught a lot of fish.

We're still all fishing together, but we keep it on the down low.

Who knows, maybe we'll post a reunion at Lot C one of these days next year!

Tight lines,

Artie

I got involved towards the end of the good ole days in my opinion and I have seen a shift.

Cultures (face it, that is what this is) change for a variety of reasons. These changes can be positive or negative, and are usually influenced by external variables

What's important, atleast in my opinion, is that the core comraderie is still there. The shift has been away from open forum based communication. Frankly, at the rate the sport is growing, its no longer a good idea. With all that said, I have yet to experience any negativity from other yakers. People are still willing to help and share... It just looks different now.

Can you imagine 500 surfcasters camping in a wind blown former airport for three days (jbay)? It would be crazy and not in the good way.

Until the tide shifts to the point where we have the equivalent of "get off my rock", I will be hesitant to say things are in the crapper.

Different yes, but bad? No, I don't think so. The times are a change'n and it would be best to adjust, rather then kiss it all good bye

I started in 2003 and went to JonS house to buy kayak fishing accessories out of his shed. Every day is the same when I go kayak fishing. I hear songs, I have big fish dreams, I have a lot of fun. I could care less what the **** others think or do. Have fun fishing by myself. No drama, no kayak wars, no sponsors, no spot burners, no tournaments, no get together with 20 people, no one to complain to but me. Preserve that first tow feeling...always! :wave:

My kayak fishing is still the old days. Paddle, used kayak, PFD, milk crate and couple of rods. No electronics, no trolling motor, no pedals, no tournaments, nobody but the wife knows when or where.

Social media has made it to easy for the slugs to sit back and wait for reports. Think about how far reaching a simple picture of a big fish is. Its crazy. KFS was nice and small. 

The next chapter in our sport is how the dolts eff it up, climbing onto bridges, climbing onto RR trestles, no lights, no PFD, I will help but dont threaten my safety while I'm saving your darwin ass.

I'd love to put up some glory shots, but between the dolts, and the biggest danger out there BOATERS, its just not worth it. 

Our very own network skill has bit us in the ass.

I don't mind going out alone as it can be quite peaceful. However, a kayak buddy to go out with, share techniques, spots, and like FishEast said have someone to talk to when it gets slow.

Big fish change people....show people a spot, they show the world....when it gets slow, I think of old girlfriends and the fun we had.