Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeM58

Sometimes I wonder about the Press

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I read this on CNN this morning and just wondered about the timing. You've got Holder talking about "wholesale changes" being needed in Ferguson on Wednesday and now articles like this, critiquing the Ferguson police chief today. All this stuff before the grand jury makes a decision on Wilson (which is expected in the next 10 days or so). It just seems like it fans the flames. Get people even more riled up, so the riots will be a bigger story. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem to be good timing.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/us/ferguson-police-chief-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I agree with you.Holder should shut up. Doesn't he have an ongoing civil rights investigation of the Ferguson PD? Why is he making statements such as this while an investigation is going on? Seems to be inappropriate at a minimum.

I thought I heard a sound bite from Holder saying it's clear something is wrong with the PD in Ferguson but we will wait for the investigation to be completed before I make any specific recomendations.

He must be taking his que straight from President Obama. :(

I thought I heard a sound bite from Holder saying it's clear something is wrong with the PD in Ferguson but we will wait for the investigation to be completed before I make any specific recomendations.

He must be taking his que straight from President Obama. :(

Holder was answering a question about the Chief should be ousted. He made his statement, and then later his press folks backpedaled and said he was referring to the department in general.

From the NY Times:

Asked at an event in Washington on Wednesday about reports that Chief Jackson might be leaving, Mr. Holder said: “It’s pretty clear that the need for wholesale change in that department is appropriate. The exact form of that change, I think we’ll wait until we complete our inquiry.”

Brian Fallon, a Justice Department spokesman, said the attorney general was not arguing for replacing the chief, but was referring to fixing structural problems he had identified when the investigation was announced earlier this year.

They are talking now about putting Ferguson under the jurisdiction of the St. Louis County PD. It seems strange the AG of the US would take such a keen interest in a town that nobody had heard of before. The town is pretty peaceful with the exception of the two low income apartment complexes. I feel bad for all law enforcement that will have to respond to the protests when the Wilson verdict is announced. It's like people want them to just stand there and let the mob throw rocks and bottles at them.

They are talking now about putting Ferguson under the jurisdiction of the St. Louis County PD. It seems strange the AG of the US would take such a keen interest in a town that nobody had heard of before. The town is pretty peaceful with the exception of the two low income apartment complexes. I feel bad for all law enforcement that will have to respond to the protests when the Wilson verdict is announced. It's like people want them to just stand there and let the mob throw rocks and bottles at them.

A few days before the announcement, it would be an opportunity for an out of town warehouseman with trucks to offer his services to move all retail stock from stores in the area, and for a construction crew to shutter and close every store in the area.

Just like preparing for a hurricane, you get ready and protect.

Personally I would like to see a huge show of force to curtail rioting; the residents and business owners have right as well. They shouldn't have to worry about some jack ass stealing and or destroying their chit.

Personally I would like to see a huge show of force to curtail rioting; the residents and business owners have right as well. They shouldn't have to worry about some jack ass stealing and or destroying their chit.
I'm pretty sure that's the plan. From what I'm hearing, I wouldn't be surpriced if the National Guard to used to secure command posts to free up the police. A hard, cold November rain for a few days would be very welcomed.