Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pistol Pete

A big day for striped bass.

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

For those that dont know, the ASMFC voted today.

The regulations will be changing in 2015 in hopes of preserving and rebuilding the striped bass population.

1 per day @ 28"

commercial harvest will be reduced as well.

details to follow.

Up and down the entire east coast StriperSurg. Any state that is part of the ASMFC. There is a 25% reduction to be taken across the board (both commercial and recreational catches) that could equate into a 1@28" regulation. States can choose to achieve the 25% reduction by different measures, as long as they can prove scientifically that the mandated reduction will be met. I'm hoping we go 1@32" here in MA.

Excellent We all have to do our part. It's ridiculous that boats go out every day and bring back 50 to 60 pounds of fish (commercial) it's not necessary, that's why numbers are down.

Not trying to be negative here but I'm wondering how will the new regs be enforced. Will there be additional agents hired ? If so, where will theiy be focusing their efforts if any? Would love to hear any info on this .

There is nothing stopping each an every angler who feels strongly about needing a higher limit to do it themselves.

Pak, your so right. Many on here just pay Lip Service then take home a 28" bass. I have even seen some Pillars Of Montauk with two or three just over 28" in their possession. When asked about that, I was told I am here for four days and SHOULD be able to keep one per day. They disobey the Regs to suit themselves then cry when the stocks dwindle. BTW- How's that Real Old guy you sometimes get Stuck fishing with? Have a Happy.

sb

Not trying to be negative here but I'm wondering how will the new regs be enforced. Will there be additional agents hired ? If so, where will theiy be focusing their efforts if any? Would love to hear any info on this .

2 biggies, many new england states have a 2 fish a day bag limit. (Remember all the pictures of the guys with 2 30's hanging out of the baskets on the canal cruisers). Second, the party boats and 6 packs in New York can only keep 1 fish per person now.

Each state can set their own regs as long as they attain the goal.

In terms of enforcement, a cash reward should be offered for those who report

people in possession of more than one fish.

I'll rat a poacher out for free, but if you offer money, you better believe more people

will be afraid they will be reported.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakalolo View Post

There is nothing stopping each an every angler who feels strongly about needing a higher limit to do it themselves.

Exactly right, except how many really will do that ? Think about how many bass you saw this year at 32"+ and how many above 28". 32 would have made a much, much greater impact than 28" because all those 28-31 would go back to breed once again. And don't forget how many times a 28 gets to spawn. ASMFC failed again.

The first post is not correct. They watered this down to be meaningless. They said one at 28 but also said states can come up with different options as long as they are below the 25% reduction. Individual states will be able to select other options. Remember one at 28 is listed as a 33% reduction so some states can still end up with two fish limits. While one at 32 was the overwhelming pick by the public the board did not follow that recommendation.

Here are some of the other options that states could pick and be below 25%:

1 at > 28” >31% reduction

1 at > 30” > 31% reduction

1 at >32” > 31% reduction

1 at 28-40” slot > 31% reduction

2 at >33” > 29% reduction

2 at 28-34” slot > 28% reduction

2 at (1 slot, 1 trophy) 1 fish 28-34” slot 1 fish 36” min >28% reduction

2 at (1 slot, 1 trophy) 1 fish 28-36” slot 1 fish 38” min >26% reduction

2 at (1 slot, 1 trophy) 1 fish 28-37” slot 1 fish 40” min >26% reduction

The first post is not correct. They watered this down to be meaningless. They said one at 28 but also said states can come up with different options as long as they are below the 25% reduction. Individual states will be able to select other options. Remember one at 28 is listed as a 33% reduction so some states can still end up with two fish limits. While one at 32 was the overwhelming pick by the public the board did not follow that recommendation.
See this is the problem......."leaving the states" to select their options to the "25%" reduction. When you institute that kind of policy in an open pool of opportunity like this, margin of technicality to work around the law increases. You need to set hard lines so that there is no misinterpretation of legislation. Why is it so hard to draw the line in this area ??? Politics has once again creeped into this formula !!

Tell me, where's the oversight going to be coming from under these guidelines that are definitely going to vary from state to state ??