Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gamakatsu

Pope declares that evolution and big bang are correct

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

Titles can be so misleading.....settle down he's not wholly endorsing "The >Theory< of Evolution."

"Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it”.

"“The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it."

Titles can be so misleading.....settle down he's not wholly endorsing "The >Theory< of Evolution."

"Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it”.

"“The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it."

I think he is endorsing both 110%. He just wants to tack on... "but God started the ball rolling".

Seems hard to both endorse evolution and at the same time insist that humans are created in God's image and have an eternal soul.

I think he is endorsing both 110%. He just wants to tack on... "but God started the ball rolling".

Seems hard to both endorse evolution and at the same time insist that humans are created in God's image and have an eternal soul.

No, not at all. Actually the Catholic Church has been on the evolutionary bandwagon for quite some time. I was taught that the theory made sense back in H.S. in the early '60s. Most people, (including Catholics) know so little about Catholic theology that they just make it up as they go along or spout what they "think" they know. Most, like my friend Slacker, mean well but know little.

This is a very complex subject but I would suggest you look up

wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Teilhard_de_Chardin and many others like him within the church. I would also mention that the Theory of the Big Bang was first espoused by another Catholic Priest, Lemeire (?) you can also wiki him up. Hubble confirmed Lemeire's theory.

I am off to chase some stripers and leaving in about 10 minutes so I don't have time right now but creation, evolution and humanity's soul are all very compatible with much of today's science. As I've said here before, I came back to faith and away from the stupidity and dead end of atheism because of what I've read about science.

No, not at all. Actually the Catholic Church has been on the evolutionary bandwagon for quite some time. I was taught that the theory made sense back in H.S. in the early '60s. Most people, (including Catholics) know so little about Catholic theology that they just make it up as they go along or spout what they "think" they know. Most, like my friend Slacker, mean well but know little.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Teilhard_de_Chardin and many others like him within the church. I would also mention that the Theory of the Big Bang was first espoused by another Catholic Priest, Lemeire (?) you can also wiki him up. Hubble confirmed Lemeire's theory.

I am off to chase some stripers and leaving in about 10 minutes so I don't have time right now but creation, evolution and humanity's soul are all very compatible with much of today's science. As I've said here before, I came back to faith and away from the stupidity and dead end of atheism because of what I've read about science.

Good luck with the stripers Knight!

My question is not about evolution or the big bang. My question is about where the soul figures into the process. Humans having an eternal soul is critical to all Christianity.

If you look at the evolution of man, there is at some point in that process where what you have is not "man". That "not man" would not have a soul, correct? We don't believe that other "not man" animals have a soul. So, then at what point in the evolutionary process does God step in and say, "this evolved animal is getting an eternal soul"?

Good luck with the bass. I was out in NJ last week and had my limit and about 8 shorts in 15 minutes... on a boat, of course. A47 diamond was the ticket.