Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bkupmstr

Oh no:coast guard called for kayaker off monmouth beach

53 posts in this topic

MONMOUTH BEACH -- The U.S. Coast Guard rescued a kayaker from Colonia after he ended up about two miles from shore Wednesday afternoon, police said.

The 51-year-old man, who had been kayaking for about three hours, told authorities the foot pedals on the craft broke, Patrolman Jeff Godwin said. He called a friend on shore around 4:15 p.m., telling him the current had taken him far from land and he was unable to paddle back in, Godwin also said. The friend called 9-1-1.

The Coast Guard responded and towed the man back towards shore. The man was “exhausted” but in good condition and refused medical attention, Godwin also said.

Glad to hear it turned out ok but scary anyway

Probably got really rough out there today.

And if you're heavily reliant on the pedals and they give out.

You are in a world of trouble.

Another lesson learned for me: understand tide wind and current and where it will take me if I run outta gas

Well some people just cant paddle they go in circles. My dad cant paddle, he uses my torque so its like taking a little kid kayak fishing when I take my dad.I wonder if that guy knew how to paddle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post

Like we already knew, paddling hobies sucks 100 yards, never mind 2 miles. Wonder if it was a PA or Outback? icon24.gif

Hey hey, leave my yaks out of this! Might have been a Slayer! :)

I fished a tournament with a guy in a Hobie in Santee Cooper. Logs break paddle drives and no way we were going to go through swamp with 27 species of poisonous snake and big gators. He could paddle fine but  miles on a PA14 had to suck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapes View Post

My revo, with the plug in and rudder up paddles just fine, with an after market paddle

That' the beauty of a Revo, they are thin compared to Outback’s, PA-12 and 14's, and can function very nice with just paddles. Well, I am glad the guy made it back, maybe the APP will have a story.

Luv how the guys without hobies type sh*t

If u were in heavy seas 2 miles off the beach which I speak from experience U wish u had a pa 14. Now back to this guy

where's his anchor ?where's his paddle ?why didn t he call 911 maybe he can text his friend but not call due to poor phone signal so then y doesn't he have a handheld radio

the guys on here that don t have proper equipment on there kayak to learn from this and yes if u had a hobie u have the room to store it lol

About 10 years ago, I was in the Susky Flats with my Tarpon 120. The wind was not supposed to get bad until 3 in the afternoon. Well at 11 AM, the winds were between 30-40 MPH and I was about 2 miles from the launch. I spent the next 3 hours trying to get back, without making any headway at all ! All of a sudden, my paddle snaps in two, and within minutes I was where I started. I called on my radio for "someone to assist a kayaker" and within 5 minutes there were 3 boats heading my way.

The first boat took me and my kayak back to my car in 10 minutes. To this day I am sorry that I didn't break my paddle on purpose, before going through 3 hours of hell.

Now I have a Revo and there have been many times over the years that I had to paddle back after a broken "something"......I totally agree that a Hobie is meant and built to be used with the drive. Trying to paddle a Hobie in bad conditions is just about impossible, even with the plug in.

Glad the guy made it back safe !! A lesson learned .......I hope.

Danny V

That was a PA, I was there (fishing off Monmouth beach), a guy is claiming that his mirage drive broke down:huh: but i think he got too far from shore,with that wind and tide against him, he was not strong enough to push that PA back to shore.

But, the most sorry scene happened when he got back exhausted, he flipped his kayak on a waves and instead of helping him the crowd broke in to laughter (policemen and first aid crew included) all stood there and laughed.

Serve and Protect = laugh and observe 

A friend and I went to the water to help that poor guy collect his things, after a couple of minutes of talking he said that he always goes that far by himself and he's always fine :banghd:. Go figure.