Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhorsley

Buffalo Hunting --BIg Cape Lookout Albies

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Buffalo hunting today. There was a good show of the BIG albies yesterday and we were lucky enough to find them today. Lots of fish from 17 to 20+ pounds. Hopefully we can find them tomorrow before they they leave the scene--

record fishing is great way to ruin a good day. In 1998 i had a client who took a 23.5 pound alibi on 16 pound class tippet --the fish was dead when it came up to the boat so we took the fish did all the paper work took the photos etc. The angler never sent it in --oh well. The mounted fish lives on my office wall. In my career i have guide anglers to 15 to 20 WRs. To do it correctly you need tunnel vision and ignore all other opportunities.

9wt

Contrary to popular belief the albie i fishing around Cape Lookout starts in late August and ends in mid November --it can last longer if the water temps stay decent and the bait stays around. So far the most consistent albie fishing was September and early October --but it ain't bad now

Capt. Horsley, what sort of tackle do you like for albies in that size bracket? A 10wt., I'm guessing, but I don't know .... how fussy are those fish? Need you bother with a tapered fluoro leader?

My last day as a working man is this coming Monday, but can't run down this November to catch a ride. Pity.

Brian--a good 9 or 10 wt is fine -- i use 9 or 10 foot knotless tapered leaders 16 or 20 pound. They can be picky to bait size. They tend to be on big bait --4 to 5 inch anchovies or silversides --so you need to throw bigger flies --Clousers work well as do Hollow Bucktail Deceivers . Yesterday they were raging on big bait balls--if you could get it past the 3000000000 birds in 20 kt wind and choppy seas you were bit. Kidding aside--they are keyed into the bait balls so you have to keep you fly in the bait or just a few feet outside of the ball---make you shots count and they eat

record fishing is great way to ruin a good day. In 1998 i had a client who took a 23.5 pound alibi on 16 pound class tippet --the fish was dead when it came up to the boat so we took the fish did all the paper work took the photos etc. The angler never sent it in --oh well. The mounted fish lives on my office wall. In my career i have guide anglers to 15 to 20 WRs. To do it correctly you need tunnel vision and ignore all w

Yeah, I hear ya.... I just looked at my IGFA book - 23.5 lb would be far and away the largest fly rod fish - that's a shame....the all tackle record is 36 lbs lol!(caught in New Jersey)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianBM View Post

RJ and I are plotting a trip to the Cape area for next year. Capt. Horsley, we'll be callin' ya.

Now  that sounds like FUN! 

HT