Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
john w k

Shepard Smith, FoxNews personality, misleads audience about spread of Ebola virus

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Today on FoxNews, Shepard Smith stated as fact that a person without showing symptoms of Ebola cannot infect other persons. He needs to stop offering unsubstantiated opinions as fact.

In regard to this question see: Ebola victims without symptoms can still be contagious

10/08/2014

”NEW YORK – A group of German medical doctors in a peer-reviewed medical journal article published by Oxford University Press have challenged a key assumption regarding the Ebola virus repeatedly asserted by Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.”

Will Shepard Smith recant his unsubstantiated opinion? Time will tell.

JWK

Smith has been on a strange crusade the last couple of weeks to play the "sole voice of reason." I get that this thing is being blown out of proportion, but his over-earnest assurances cross the line between reporter and preacher.

Smith is a flaming liberal and he tries to keep it in check but it bubbles out sometimes when he lets his emotions overtake reason.

A case in point that I vividly remember is when he was in New Orleans covering Katrina,

He said on air that he did not understand why the city sent buses to fancy hotels to rescue guests and take them to the airport but not send buses to rescue poor people at the football stadium. He was insinuating that well to do white people were being given preferential treatment.

What the little lib did not realize is that the hotels hired private transportation as a service for their guests,

Meanwhile the mayor, nagin , failed to send in hundreds of buses that were at his disposal to help the stadium refuges.

I hope nagin is enjoying prison.:)

Dennis

His crusade is truly bizarre. No one can definitively say the exact moment an infected person becomes contagious.

Shep may be on his way to Dan Ratherhood :dismay:

:v:

Smith is a flaming liberal and he tries to keep it in check but it bubbles out sometimes when he lets his emotions overtake reason.

A case in point that I vividly remember is when he was in New Orleans covering Katrina,

He said on air that he did not understand why the city sent buses to fancy hotels to rescue guests and take them to the airport but not send buses to rescue poor people at the football stadium. He was insinuating that well to do white people were being given preferential treatment.

What the little lib did not realize is that the hotels hired private transportation as a service for their guests,

Meanwhile the mayor, nagin , failed to send in hundreds of buses that were at his disposal to help the stadium refuges.

I hope nagin is enjoying prison.:)

Dennis

Poetic justice for Nagin....sucka!

Today on FoxNews, Shepard Smith stated as fact that a person without showing symptoms of Ebola cannot infect other persons.

Suppose an asymptomatic prostitute has unprotected intercourse with two clients one hour apart.

The first client, client 1, is infected and his semen is laden with the Ebola virus.

The second client, client 2, is not infected but he does have a lesion on his penis.

Client 2 becomes infected when the lesion on his penis comes in contact with client 1's virus-laden semen.

This certainly possible scenario falsifies Smith's claim; it proves "that a person without showing symptoms of Ebola [can] infect other persons."

Today on FoxNews, Shepard Smith stated as fact that a person without showing symptoms of Ebola cannot infect other persons.

Suppose an asymptomatic prostitute has unprotected intercourse with two clients one hour apart.

The first client, client 1, is infected and his semen is laden with the Ebola virus.

The second client, client 2, is not infected but he does have a lesion on his penis.

Client 2 becomes infected when the lesion on his penis comes in contact with client 1's virus-laden semen.

This certainly possible scenario falsifies Smith's claim; it proves "that a person without showing symptoms of Ebola [can] infect other persons."

I agree. I can't imagine any disease where it is impossible to infect another person without being symptomatic. While it may be unlikely, there can always be circumstances that would render that false as an absolute statement.

I agree. I can't imagine any disease where it is impossible to infect another person without being symptomatic. While it may be unlikely, there can always be circumstances that would render that false as an absolute statement.

Doesn't Smith understand the meaning of "cannot"?

Apparently not.

"Cannot" means zero probability.

An adult elephant cannot fit inside a Volkswagen.

Milk cannot be used to fuel a diesel engine.

Humans cannot jump 100 feet high.

We know an asymptomatic person can spread ebola sexually for months after surviving the illness. I wonder if an asymptomatic person can transmit ebola sexually during the incubation period. For example, if Dr Spencer had sex the night before his fever developed, would his partner be at risk.

Fact; every news outlet is or was stating that a non symptomatic person carrying the Ebola virus cannot spread the virus...in fact, despite a few who may be more critical of that line of thinking and would prefer to err on the side of caution, I don't think any has outright backed away from that

We know an asymptomatic person can spread ebola sexually for months after surviving the illness. I wonder if an asymptomatic person can transmit ebola sexually during the incubation period. For example, if Dr Spencer had sex the night before his fever developed, would his partner be at risk.

Fact; every news outlet is or was stating that a non symptomatic person carrying the Ebola virus cannot spread the virus...in fact, despite a few who may be more critical of that line of thinking and would prefer to err on the side of caution, I don't think any has outright backed away from that

The prostitute in the scenario I posted could be uninfected, yet she could still infect client 2.

Shepherd Smith has been with Fox long enough to know he shouldn't stand in the way of right wing fear mongering :wag:

fear mongering? Giving accurate information as to how the Ebola virus may be spread is fear mongering?

Grow TFU

Quote:

Originally Posted by john w k View Post

fear mongering? Giving accurate information as to how the Ebola virus may be spread is fear mongering?

Grow TFU

According to the article, one doctor called WND to tell them about one study that found it might be possible to spread Ebola before symptoms are apparent. And that study was not even of the Ebola virus.

Meanwhile the headline of the article is:" EBOLA VICTIMS WITHOUT SYMPTOMS CAN STILL BE CONTAGIOUS". Fear mongering.