Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JaseB

Stationary bicycle stand input please, Cortez, looking at you....

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity to buy one of these for $125.  Like new.  I mountain biked extensively for a while and then fell out of it.  Recently got back into it, but like to get my daily exercise in before work and with the seasons changing, that means in the dark, on small, unlit, curvy, hilly roads just outside the mountains.  Have had some hair raising rides, even with head lights.  Completely new to this sort of set up so please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J39ZYK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000BNCA0Y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Y9389Y853NP45Y1A8QY

Thanks for the input.  Should note, the bike I got was not intended for the mountain biking that landed me in the hospital back in the day.  I'll never forget the nurse cleaning me up saying "You're so lucky you were wearing a helmet, if you hadn't you'd probably be dead."  "Uhh, I wasn't wearing a helmet."  "You're really a lucky young man."

I guess I should specify, I have a hybrid, Giant Rome 0.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinambition View Post

That's how they did it back in the day. It's how you turn cycling into an upper body workout too

"Back in the day" is there some significantly better option now or has it just been tweaked?   Looks about the same, but just don't know to be honest.

For trail riding? I have a full suspension rig that I've barely used, I prefer just a front shock. For a trainer, anything with a slick rear tire is fine. I added a cycling computer to track my progress.

Be ready to sweat your zzz off on the stand. No breeze that your used to, I set a fen up in front of me to help cool the ride. Funny but I didn't even think of it at first.

The slick is the way to go.

Good deal grab it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post

I dunno, 400 bucks is 400 bucks.

Just tie a rope from a rafter to the back seat and get that wheel off the ground.

No doubt, but I can get one for $100.

If you can get the Kurt for 100, I would jump on it.

I have the Cascade Fluid Pro. I only have a few rides on it, but so far its good and way quieter than the Cycle Ops Mag I have. Its pretty heavy though.

I'm not familiar with this product. Most of the reviewers love it. Some talk about a bouncy feeling and the overall size. It a 100 bucks! But it! It seems like it can accommodate Mt bike tires. There may be an issue with the skeewer... Since you have t he hybrid. It should connect. It's a $100 for a 400 rig! Buy it.

I have a Blackburn that my wife won or it was given to her as a product demo. I also use a SuperMagneto (I think that's the name). They are each small enough to move room to room or to pack in the car and bring out to prep before an event. Nice fluidity. A set of rollers are nice, but there's a learning curve. Set them up in a doorway. Someone mentioned a bike computer... cool to have, but not necessary. I'm not a data geek. I ride. I feel either good, better than last time or crappy. There are cool Aps. I have an early gen Computrainer that I may send back to the manufacturer to upgrade. Again --- a cool toy, but completely unnecessary. I also use two gym quality spin bikes... One is downstairs in the gym, the other I hauled to my office. These, I like. The tension control knob works well... Not temperamental. I ride w/ a few friend's at a gym ( they are world class... Makes me work hard because they made everything look ^^^So easy) --- those spin bikes have crazy, unpredictable control knobs... Too tight... Too loose...

I would buy the trainer. Enjoy it.