Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Horse Shoe

Daughter needs a heaver / bait rod (6-8oz)

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Looking to build my daughter a bait rod for fishing from the beach (typical bait soaking). Right now she is got decent technique with smaller (3-4oz). She fished the point in Hatteras with me this past week and seems pretty excited about this style of fishing. She is almost 13, about 5'8" and plenty strong for her age. I think with a little practice she could handle a conventional reel pretty well, but may start her on a spinning layout 1st.

What blanks would you folks suggest looking at that she could grow into before I put her into a true heaver when she is ready?

Thanks,

HS

Looking to build my daughter a bait rod for fishing from the beach (typical bait soaking). Right now she is got decent technique with smaller (3-4oz). She fished the point in Hatteras with me this past week and seems pretty excited about this style of fishing. She is almost 13, about 5'8" and plenty strong for her age. I think with a little practice she could handle a conventional reel pretty well, but may start her on a spinning layout 1st.

What blanks would you folks suggest looking at that she could grow into before I put her into a true heaver when she is ready?

Thanks,

HS

I have an 12 foot 3 to 7oz rod from Carolina cast Pro that is truly a pleasure to fish with. Easy to throw handles 7oz OK and 6oz is great. A nice light rod to fish with. I now save my 13' Diawa for those days you have to horse power something into a strong wind,

I wouldn't drop a lot of cash for a young kid.Just pick her up a Ocean Master by Bass Pro Shop.There inexpensive and one heck of a rod for the money.You won't be disappointed!

I wouldn't drop a lot of cash for a young kid.Just pick her up a Ocean Master by Bass Pro Shop.There inexpensive and one heck of a rod for the money.You won't be disappointed!

Good point, unless she really loves fishing.