Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

why is the landscape so bleak for today's democrats?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Bleak? Lol!

In reality, The electoral landscape for the dems is way better than it has any right to be. They must be pinching themselves to make sure this isn't a dream.

With a second term president with very low approval ratings and mid terms that skew heavily to repub leanin districts they should be facing a landslide defeat. Unbelievably they still have a slim chance if keeping the senate. They are competive in many key races that will go down to the wire and control of the senate may not be known for months due to run offs in some southern states. I expect the dems to lose but these races are going to e close. Closer than they have any right to be. The situation should be a hell of a lot bleaker.

Bleak? Lol!

In reality, The electoral landscape for the dems is way better than it has any right to be. They must be pinching themselves to make sure this isn't a dream.

With a second term president with very low approval ratings and mid terms that skew heavily to repub leanin districts they should be facing a landslide defeat. Unbelievably they still have a slim chance if keeping the senate. They are competive in many key races that will go down to the wire and control of the senate may not be known for months due to run offs in some southern states. I expect the dems to lose but these races are going to e close. Closer than they have any right to be. The situation should be a hell of a lot bleaker.

I will grant you that the Republicans haven't completely seized this opportunity in my opinion (campaigning on how bad the other guys did and skipping out on spreading your own message is always a mistake, just ask the Dems about that)...but they are losing ground regardless I think Tatonka made a fair point...despite being on the opposite sides of the party line, I also look skeptically at all of the gov't, not just the dems and I think that's what's swaying public opinion

It's a cycle. Dems have control, do nothing, so people vote in the opposition to do the same.

Democrats did a lot. People may or may not like what they did, but that doesn't make it nothing.

Bleak? Lol!

I think that most of us like gridlock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

Democrats did a lot. People may or may not like what they did, but that doesn't make it nothing.

wrecked the entire g dmnd medical business for 50 years minumum.

Set race relations back 40 years. After the race riots in two weeks in St Louis and beyond, their approval rating will be even worse. That's why they are withholding the ruling until after the elections.

Set race relations back 40 years. After the race riots in two weeks in St Louis and beyond, their approval rating will be even worse. That's why they are withholding the ruling until after the elections.

Some Dems who are running for various political offices are doubling down on the St Louis/racism thing and in fact using that in their ads to help 'stoke' the black vote (coupled with an anti-cop sentiment)

Some Dems who are running for various political offices are doubling down on the St Louis/racism thing and in fact using that in their ads to help 'stoke' the black vote (coupled with an anti-cop sentiment)

Like I said, setting race relations back 40 years. And not by accident.

If the Republicans take Congress, are smart, and can intelligently sell the bills they pass, then Obama's desk becomes the undeniable legislative obstruction.

I doubt that will help Dems in two years. Especially if they let him cause a Constitutional crisis over amnesty for illegals.

If the Republicans take Congress, are smart, and can intelligently sell the bills they pass, then Obama's desk becomes the undeniable legislative obstruction.

I doubt that will help Dems in two years. Especially if they let him cause a Constitutional crisis over amnesty for illegals.

They won't be able to pass a thing without 60 votes in the Senate so nothing important will get to his desk anyway.

They will be able to stop some of the more radical judicial appointments, other than that it will be gridlock just like now.

Not always a bad thing as Slacker said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrock View Post

How long did the Rodney King riots set back race relations? 100 years?

Quote:

How long did the Rodney King riots set back race relations? 100 years?

Was the President and his entire cabinet involved in dictating how that case would conclude? Seems to me, they let things take its natural course and it resolved itself without anyone (outside of LA) particularly angry about the outcome