Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltyh2ofly

Say Something

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Nice bass and blue blitz today, fish on bunker, big pencil poppers or any big pop would get some attention. Fun for all except the bass left on the beach because they were too small. Really 18 to 20lbs is too small! Well of course it is if you catch a 40lber and then a 25lber so these get left behind. See guys kicking big blues half way back in the wash, no balls here can't hold em by the tail and let swim away. I know someone saw the guy but didn't open their mouth. When they're gone they're gone for good so blues are what may be all you have.

Somone walked off with my friend's bass... There was a little confusion whose fish was whose at the end of the day. I didnt see any fish left over when I was walking out where I was. A lot of guys including myself left their fish for a bit while we worked down the beach. But if truly the fish were left by dark it's a shame.

Absolute disgrace. Embarrassing, ugly, neanderthal-like behavior. For me, why anyone would want to keep a breeder sized bass is beyond me for both preservation AND culinary reasons. They're the future for the species and they taste average at best at that size. The treatment of the Bluefish speaks volumes as well.

Don't believe in waste,never did. If I kill and keep anything I keep it alive as long as I can or get it on ice right away. Even if it means walking away from a blitz! As far as worrying about the future of the species I'm not going to live forever! I'd eat the last panda if it tasted any good!

Wow.

Don't believe in waste,never did. If I kill and keep anything I keep it alive as long as I can or get it on ice right away. Even if it means walking away from a blitz! As far as worrying about the future of the species I'm not going to live forever! I'd eat the last panda if it tasted any good!

Wow....

Nice bass and blue blitz today, fish on bunker, big pencil poppers or any big pop would get some attention. Fun for all except the bass left on the beach because they were too small. Really 18 to 20lbs is too small! Well of course it is if you catch a 40lber and then a 25lber so these get left behind. See guys kicking big blues half way back in the wash, no balls here can't hold em by the tail and let swim away. I know someone saw the guy but didn't open their mouth. When they're gone they're gone for good so blues are what may be all you have.

If so... Worse than the poachers.

salty were you throwing the fly rod. stuff like this makes me sick. people leaving skates on the beach to die or the classic "foot release" always makes me have to remind myself to stay professional and not lose my job over jail time.

Somone walked off with my friend's bass... There was a little confusion whose fish was whose at the end of the day. I didnt see any fish left over when I was walking out where I was. A lot of guys including myself left their fish for a bit while we worked down the beach. But if truly the fish were left by dark it's a shame.

That was only 2 of the fish I saw left on the beach, there were two more further down beach and no one around! I confronted a guy kicking a bluefish back in the water and told him to carry it back to the water. I grabbed the blue by the tail and released it into the surf. The young man told me to "calm down killer" which had me say that if you are going to catch em let em go with some respect.....he was good on the next few blues.

I throw the fly all the time, even if I don't catch.....it's a thing with fly fishers.......fishing behind caught fish with the fly or luck in tight. Nada for me that day but the guys that caught were happy to be out. Been surf fishing since the late 60s so I've had a good life with stripers up and down the coast, sorry to see them being threatened again.

Is anyone releasing bass out there? From the pics and reports here it doesn't sound like it. Weeks and weeks of terrible fishing and after all the whining and wishing there were a few fish around, we kill as many as we can when they finally show up. What's the mentality here? Get them while you can before they are all dead? Don't worry, plenty of bass offshore? I just don't get it. It's all pretty depressing. It seems in our best interest to show a little restraint and do what we can to try to improve the fishing. Clearly for the most part it sucks. I'm not out there to witness what's going on, but I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. Again I'm glad I have boat and can go bottom fishing to kill the time all fall when there are no bass around.

So if you catch two and keep them then keep fishing and catch a bigger fish just get a quick pic of the bigger one for your bragging rights and release her alive since you killed two already. Not to complicated. Hell, worse case give the others too someone.